Drinking at a brewery (protocol question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BennyN

Reaction score
So every time I drink at a brewery the server can never answer my usually surface-level questions. For instance, 80-percent of the time they don't even know what kind of hop variety is used.

I'm totally fine with shrugging it off, but have any of you ever asked to have a table-side Q & A with the brewmaster?

I'm assuming you mean brew pubs. I've never had a problem at an actual brewery, unless they specifically didn't want to tell me something.

At brewpubs, I have run into more than a few waiters/waitresses who knew nothing about the beer they had. I chalk it up to a little harsh reality though: most brewpubs are not going to go out of their way/expense to hire/train waiters/waitresses who know nothing about beer to begin with. In a perfect world, every brewpub would be able to find people for these jobs who have some knowledge of beer, but in reality, those people are probably already bartending and making much more money than waiters.

I've been to almost 75 brewpubs (going to 7 more the first week of December), and I've learned to just read the descriptions given in the menu, and if I really need to know more, I ask the bartender.

You're expecting too much. The servers are just folks with a job. They're not necessarily people like us, obsessing over every brewing detail.

If you really need to know more than the written descriptions, just ask for a sample.

I haven't really had that kind of experience before. All of the brewpubs and breweries that I've been to, there has always been someone around to answer intimate questions about the beer if the server isn't able to.

I feel like there is a big difference in my expectation when I go to a "brew pub," vs. a "brewery." If the place is calling itself a brewery.. the servers should know at least basic information about the beers.

a brew pub, not so much.

that said, I dont know that Id expect the server to know what type of hop is used in a particular beer.. but there is usually someone around who does know.

I would never expect a server or even a bartender to know anything about how it was made. Kind of like asking the car salesman the torque specs on the intake manifold.

I have been to brewpubs where the servers knew nothing, and I've been to a brewpub where the bartender was the brewer. Can go either way!

Just ask if the brewer is in and if he/she's busy. Never met one that didn't want to talk shop with a homebrewer.

They should have some info pamphlets for their servers to give out. Their customer base is generally going to be people who are a little more passionate about beer and sometimes very passionate. Potentially the place you visited did and your server didn't even know about it.

I would never expect a server or even a bartender to know anything about how it was made. Kind of like asking the car salesman the torque specs on the intake manifold.

not at a bar, no.. but if its a brewery, i think thats a reasonable expectation.

deschutes is kind of my "gold standard" when it comes to breweries.. and every time they have a new release, they round up all the employees (all of them), and do a tasting. That way, they can answer questions. Like, "Is your hop trip a pale ale or a bitter?" Actually, my server didnt know that, but she went and found out for me. :).

oh, and I dont expect the salesperson to know the torque specs (the mechanic doesnt even know that-- he looks it up in a book), but the salesperson should know how many cylinders, how many valves, displacement, turbo or not, and maybe even some information on the transmission and suspension.

I dunno, maybe I should lower my expectations a little as passedpawn says.. I seem to be disappointed a lot (but, if im paying 5 bucks for a pint, the guy (or gal) that brings it to me should be able to answer some basic questions, not mash temp, but they should know something).

So every time I drink at a brewery the server can never answer my usually surface-level questions.

That's pretty much the norm. At the smaller breweries you may be talking to someone who helped brew the beer, but go any bigger than, say, Lightning, and you're probably talking to a server, not a brewer.

I'm totally fine with shrugging it off, but have any of you ever asked to have a table-side Q & A with the brewmaster?

Sure. Or just go find them.

not at a bar, no.. but if its a brewery, i think thats a reasonable expectation.

deschutes is kind of my "gold standard" when it comes to breweries.. and every time they have a new release, they round up all the employees (all of them), and do a tasting. That way, they can answer questions. Like, "Is your hop trip a pale ale or a bitter?" Actually, my server didnt know that, but she went and found out for me. :).

oh, and I dont expect the salesperson to know the torque specs (the mechanic doesnt even know that-- he looks it up in a book), but the salesperson should know how many cylinders, how many valves, displacement, turbo or not, and maybe even some information on the transmission and suspension.

I dunno, maybe I should lower my expectations a little as passedpawn says.. I seem to be disappointed a lot (but, if im paying 5 bucks for a pint, the guy (or gal) that brings it to me should be able to answer some basic questions, not mash temp, but they should know something).

Agreed I love going to Deschutes in downtown. They were so cool there I pulled my server to the side and told her that my FiL is a home brewer and its his first time at the public house...she got the brewer on duty to give us a private tour of the brewery there..too cool. So yeah they are the "gold standard"

Back