Temp control with heatstick?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm thinking about building a heatstick to use for heating water for my mash tun. Has anyone ever found a way to control the temperature with the heatstick with some kind of thermostat? My general idea was to use some type of water heater thermostat.

You could use a PID & SSR like some of the electric brewkettles do. If it's a 120V heatstick you may even be able to use the controls from an old electric range.

I think some people have used Ranco or Johnson digital temp controllers. However, I know for the Ranco controller it must be a 15W or lower heat stick.

I suppose one of those $30.00 eBay Temp Controllers could do the trick as well, hmmm...

Okay, got another question about the heatstick - how safe is JBweld? I've done a bit of research and the answer is......maybe? Any thoughts?

It's not NSF rated but if you make a heatstick and follow these instructions you the JB that pots the electrical connections should never touch the wort.

Okay, got another question about the heatstick - how safe is JBweld? I've done a bit of research and the answer is......maybe? Any thoughts?

If you are worried about the JB Weld, cover it with a layer of food grade (aquarium) silicone. You will have to re-do the silicone from time to time.

Latest posts

Back