Steep 2-row pale malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am laying out the plans for my next brew which is going to be an IPA. The recipe I am basing it off of has me steeping the 2-row pale malt along with the crystal 40L. I was under the impression that the 2-row could not be steeped, but should be partial mashed to get anything out of it. Is this true or will steeping be fine? Thanks.

-AJ

Just steeping will get you very little out of the 2-row, except for unconverted starch. IMO, there is no reason to steep the 2-row.

Now as david_42 said, if you "steep" it at 150-156F with about 1.3-1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain you will utilize the ezymes in the 2-row and convert the starch to usable sugar.

You can certainly steep it and you will get some conversion but if your only steeping it with crystal I don't see much of a point. Generally you would want to steep 2row with grains that can't be steeped in which case its really a mini mash. How much of each does it call for?

2 row really needs to be mashed to get the most out of it. If you steep, you also run the risk of getting a lot of unconverted starches in your beer, which will cause it to be cloudier than usual.

Back