Is this enough 2-row for this ultra light brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
:tank:

I am sitting at home with a flu and going nuts as I have nothing to do really, should be at work or having fun somewhere, so instead I am composing a few recipes.

I got the idea of making an ultra light ladies brew since most of what I have lined up is malty and dark.

I also want to try using corn and rice.

Now as I understand it I must use some 2-row pale (can´t get 6-row) to get the enzymes to convert the adjunct corn/rice

If possible I would even like to use german pilsner malt to get it even lighter in color.

The recipe looks like this
7.4 gal. batch
52.7 % 5.5 lbs German Pilsener
21.0 % 2.2 lbs Flaked Corn
21.0 % 2.2 lbs Flaked Rice
5.3 % 0.5 lbs CaraPils
1 oz. Fuggles 4.7% 60 min
0.357 Saaz 4% 15 min
SRM 1.5 <<<<
IBU 16
Target ABV 4.4%
I have been getting around 85% efficiency out of my rig.

US-05 or nottingham ale yeast, want it to be dry, really dry.
I have s-04 as well as some alger yeast but want to do an ale this time.
Mash low and long.

Now I am running blind here really, I do not even know if this is possible. I have never used corn nor rice and do not know as much as I should so any input is very likely to be of use to me, and highly appreciated. :mug:

Pilsner malt has plenty of diastatic power. And you can always use amylase powder if it makes you feel better.

Agreed! I like to keep my adjunct beers around 20%, but will push a little higher sometimes. I used to use mostly 2-row with some 6-row to help out. Now I just skip the 6-row (for 20% adjunct).

If you want really light color, use more rice over corn. Corn will give some yellow color

I figured I was pushing things a bit here, I was not even sure this was possible and I have no idea how a beer like this would taste.

I will have to google amylase powder since I have no idea what that is, again my limited knowledge gives my things to do :D

If you want really light color, use more rice over corn. Corn will give some yellow color

OK, I could have figured that out for my self if I had given it the thought hehe.

So how about taste, smell and mouthfeel, what does corn and rice impart there.

Found the info on amylase I needed and found some on wineandcake.com

Need to read more on how to use it and order some if I think that is the way to go

Thanks for confirming that this is possible and that that I should perhaps use more rice then corn for correct color.

Lets see also how hard SWMBO nags for a an ultra light beer.

Cheers

If you want to use corn and not impact the color, you can use instant grits from the grocery store. They are typically made from white hominy. I use almost 30% in my Classic American Pilsner with the rest as 2-row. The color ends up very light.

Thanks for the tip November

The thing is that I live in Iceland and we just don´t have the variety of produce one can expect.

For how long do you mash and ferment your pilsner?

I have been looking for corn products and the only thing I can find is polenta, canned corn and popping corn.
As for rice there is no flaked rice available so I guess I´ll have to read up on using boiled rice or 1-min rice, even baby food rice meal.

Whith that much flaked adjuncts, my system would have a stuck sparge as soon as I opened the valve.

Yeah but my system is unique ;)

I really want to try this, if not just to see if my system will handle it :D

Back