Boiling water to start yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZbrewer1

Reaction score
I have 2pkgs of muntons dry active brewing yeast that i plan on using for my first batch. the back of the package says to use boiled water at 38 to 48 degrees C. I am wondering since i am using bottled spring water will need to boil before putting in the yeast?

You should use sterile water between 90 and 95 degrees F. This helps the rehydration process. So if it's bottled spring water you probably don't have to boil it to sterilize but just warm it to the correct temp.

I think the intent is just to boil off the chlorine,etc from the tap water used. I get mine up to 150F for a few mins (1 1/2C) to make a small starter with 1/4C DME mixed in. Let it come down to 75F,& mix in the yeast,covering it with plastic wrap till I'm done with the rest & ready to pitch.

thanks guys i really appreciate it. will warm it up to get it to the right tep. can't use tap water here even hafter hard boil, just too many contaminants to worry about

I'd boil it just to make sure it's as clean as the wort it is going into. Then cool it to 90-95 degrees, add the yeast, let it sit for 15ish minutes. DO NOT make a starter with DME, that is for liquid, not dry yeast.

You might as well boil it. A little ice bath can bring it back down to temp REALLY quickly if you don't want to wait.

Back