First Partial Mash Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arpeggiator

Reaction score
Hi Gang,

Just finished my first attempt at a partial mash brew yesterday. I did encounter a few problem areas that left me with a dismal OG of .040:mad: It's ok though because it brewed with some really great hops (cascade and amarillo) and smelled awesome. Maybe you guys could tell me where I went wrong.

First off, I am using 2 aluminum pots. I know, I know, but it's what i have. They suck, although heat up quickly, they cool down faster. When i was doing my first soak the temp kept dropping. I tried covering it in blankets, but the temp still dropped, forcing me to return the pot to the stove and heat back up. I did this about 5 times in 30 min. Although, I think I did a good job at keeping the temp between 149-160.

When it came time to put the grains in the second pot, I was a little unclear about the technique. I heated the water to 170, then dunked the bag like a tea bag, repeatedly. this dropped the temp really fast, so much so that I decided to heat the first pot up to 170 and repeat the process in the hot wort.

After that, I just boiled like normal. the rest of the process went fine, leaving me with a weak pale ale that smells like it still might taste great. I'm starting to get some airlock activity as I type.

My main questions are how much of the fermentation that is taking place is the result of my hard work or just the extract I added at the end of the boil? I realize my equipment efficiency is terrible. I have a small coleman cooler, if I did my first soak in that, would it greatly improve my efficiency? Am I rinsing effectively? What is the technique tea-bagging (don't laugh) or soaking? Any advice would be great.

Happy Brewing!

Mashing in a bag, if there is plenty of room in the bag should not really be the concern. 30 minutes may have been to quick for conversion especially if the grains were packed into a bag. 60 minutes will definitley help conversion. Rinsing would be the biggest problem. Getting all of that converted sugar out is difficult with a bag.

I'm not sure about the practicality but I think I've heard a few people talking about setting the oven to the mash temp and placing the pot in there after the boil start. I'd double check with some other people though.

I mash ALL grains. There are few that really need to be steeped beyond the rise to 170F (or so).

Get well above mash temp (depending on how much grain, maybe 165 or so), add the grain and let it cool down into the range you want.

I leave mine on the stove top and turn on a little heat when it cools and stir.

That is why coolers are used to mash. Aluminum will wick heat away, not insulate.

Back