Fermentation Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Stupid question..,, BUT here it comes.. I have an IPA that started with and OG of 1071. I used US-05 for the yeast. I have had the carboy in a swamp cooler at 61* for a week and this thing has been ragging for a week now. I use a 3 & 3 (3-weeks fermentor and 3 weeks in bottle) rule of thumb, but I have never seen vigorous fermentation for a week straight. Is the duration for the dermentation a result of the extra low temp?

Looking for some advice..:drunk:

Stupid question..,, BUT here it comes.. I have an IPA that started with and OG of 1071. I used US-05 for the yeast. I have had the carboy in a swamp cooler at 61* for a week and this thing has been ragging for a week now. I use a 3 & 3 (3-weeks fermentor and 3 weeks in bottle) rule of thumb, but I have never seen vigorous fermentation for a week straight. Is the duration for the dermentation a result of the extra low temp?

Looking for some advice..:drunk:

Maybe it's the cool temperatures- maybe it was a bit of a high OG for one package of yeast.

US05 likes 64 degrees or higher, if I remember correctly. I've heard of "peachy" esters at below-optimum fermentation temperatures for S05, but I haven't had any issues at 62 degrees or so with it.

I thought S-05 was good to 59 F.

As others have said, cool temperatures will slow it down. At that temperature you should get a nice clean ferment with very little esters from the yeast.

Quick question.. Should I be concerned about any other junk being able to grow in brew/stew? I would imagine a fast vigorous fermentation would create the volume of alcohol that would not allow other stuff to take hold, but would a slow fermentation give other stuff the ability to begin to grow in the wort?
Should I try to raise the temp to 65* to help finish the fermentation off?

Back