Beer foaming issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stynkmonkey

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post and if this is the wrong place for it mods please move it.

I finished up my first ever batch the other day and now after a couple weeks of sitting in bottles I decided to crack one open. It foamed like a volcano, I lost about 1/2 the bottle due to foam but it tastes really good. Looked like the mentos and diet coke trick.

The beer was an IPA and it was not refrigerated when I opened it. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if something went wrong. Or should I refrigerate it before I open it?

Hi this is my first post and if this is the wrong place for it mods please move it.

I finished up my first ever batch the other day and now after a couple weeks of sitting in bottles I decided to crack one open. It foamed like a volcano, I lost about 1/2 the bottle due to foam but it tastes really good. Looked like the mentos and diet coke trick.

The beer was an IPA and it was not refrigerated when I opened it. Can someone tell me if this is normal or if something went wrong. Or should I refrigerate it before I open it?

It should be refrigerated, preferably at least 24 hours, before opening. The reason is because the co2 created by the minifermentation in the bottle is more readily dissolved into the beer at colder temperatures. At warmer temperatures, it's more likely to cause foaming as you've found.

If you chill one overnight, by tomorrow night it'll be surprisingly different!

It was not referigerated when you opened it, that's more than likely why it gushed. It is a good idea to chill them at least 48 hours, preferably a week...this will help pull the co2 back into solution.

Thank you for the quick replies, They are going in the fridge right now. I'm going to test my garage freezer to see how cold it is at it's hottest temp (ie. not freeze) to see if I can use it as a beer fridge.

Back