Quick Question about Racking to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lubbock Brew

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick quesiton. My first batch has been in primary since about 2:00 a.m. on the 27th. The bubbling has slowed down to about a bubble every 90 seconds in the airlock. There is still some gunk floating around on the top of the wort. Is this going to totally disperse back into the wort or can I rack to secondary with this stuff still floating?

from my understanding, as long as the gunk (krausen is it?) is on the top, you want to let it sit more until it is gone. however i am new myself, and the experts here will most definitely correct me if i'm wrong.

A lot of people here swear by the 123 rule-- 1 week in primary, 2 in secondary, 3 in bottles. The gunk on the top will probably disappear in the next couple of days and your beer should start to clear up quite a bit.

do you have a hydrometer? have you taken a reading to see if its fermented out? my last batch had a healthy layer of gunk on top that seemed like it would never fall. the hydro reading said it was ready, so i went ahead and x-ferred it.

Latest posts

Back