Yeast Still Suspended after 1 week cold crash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanseMacabre

Reaction score
I brewed an amber ale extract kit from my LHBS on 1/28/12 and have a question concerning suspended yeast. Here is the recipe in case any of these variables will help a more experienced brewer answer my question:

4lb Alexanders Pale Extract Syrup
2.5lb Extra light DME
8oz US Crystal 80*L
6oz German Munich Malt
4oz Victory Malt
3oz Biscuit Malt
1/3 oz Yakiman Magnum Hops
1/2 oz Hallertau Hops
1/4 oz Willamette Aroma Hops
1 Packet Safbrew S-33 Yeast
O.G. 1.051 (kit called for 1.053)
F.G. @ cold crash 1.018 (kit called for 1.011)

Unlike many of my kit beers, this one had no visible signs of active fermentation in my 6.5 gallon glass carboy. No active bubbling in airlock, no thick krausen, and no vigorous activity inside carboy. I checked the SG on day 3, 4, and 5 and it had only dropped to 1.032. I re-pitched more Safebrew S-33 on day 5 (this may have ben unnecessary, or even part of the problem, but I did it for fear the yeast were not working). I fermented for a total of 22 days at 68-70 degrees. After 22 days the FG was 1.018 (the same for days 19-22). The upper 1/3 of the carboy was clear and dark, while the lower 2/3 still light and cloudy. So the yeast had not settled out. I cold crashed for a week at 45 degrees (keezer temp), and the yeast are STILL suspended and the bottom 2/3 of carboy. It has a very stratified look (almost 3 different color bands). The beer tastes fine at gravity readings, and at this point I don't care and will keg it today and bring it up to carbonation over 2 weeks. Anyone had any experience with yeast that never falls out of suspension in an ale? Any solutions?

cheers

I don't use that strain, but I think it's a pretty non-flocculant yeast strain and that's why it's so darn slow to clear. It should clear evenutally if you want to wait, or you could try finings like gelatin.

Thanks for the replies Yooper and Nordeast. Not surprised to hear that time is the key. Seems to be the modus for home brewing. I will also do some more reading on this yeast strain. Unfortunately I have no more room in my keezer to continue to cold crash, so here are my options:

1) continue to let it sit in the primary at room temp until all is clear, however long it takes (it's already been on the yeast cake 1 month)

2) Transfer to a secondary at room temperature and then wait until clear

3) keg it and hope that the two weeks of set and forget carbonation allow time for it to settle to bottom of keg. At least this way it will be at a colder temps for another two weeks. Of course those first couple pints will be cloudy (or all of them if it still isn't settling).

What do you think?

Back