racking to secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidv53

Reaction score
hey-

first time racking to a secondary. I have an auto-siphon. Do I just stick it towards the top and rack until I get down to sludge and then stop? or should I put it more towards bottom. Thanks!

Set it all the way down to the bottom. It has a little tip on the end that will keep most of the junk out unless you have an abnormally large amount of turb - in which case it would kill the siphon anyway.

So, just start it and let it do it's thing. Don't even touch it; just prime it and leave it

I do just the opposite - I keep the tip just submerged under the top of the wort. When I get close to the bottom, and start sucking up trub, I call an end to it.

I use a big clip (plastic Chip Clip or similar) on the body of the siphon to keep it from going down further than I want so I don't have to hold it. I put it in at first so it is about three inches from the bottom. That's well above the trub. I fine tune slowly and carefully as the volume drops to keep the black tip just below the surface.

When I racked my ESB this way into my secondary, I got a bit of trub, but it was mainly stuff that was suspended in the beer. It settled out in secondary. When I racked into my bottling bucket, I didn't get any of the 1/2 inch of stuff in the bottom of my carboy into my bottling bucket. My beer looks really good.

Back