"gusher" infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GranillaNutz

Reaction score
so my first batch ever was set in 2 seperate carboy's. one was a 1 gallon growler that stayed in that growler for it's entire fermenting period. the other was racked from a 5 gallon carboy, to a secondary corny keg. the 1 gallon growler was bottled into 16 oz bottles and 2 1 litre bottles. the corny was racked to another corny, which was then primed.
the first bottle i opened from the growler (opened pretty warm fyi) came out of the bottle at least a foot. like a small volcano. i chilled the rest from the growler and they all came out REALLY good.
the corny seems to be diminishing in flavor (allmost like it's turning into carbonated water) as the weeks pass. it's been about 4 months since i've brewed this batch and it's progressively getting worse in taste.
i'm pretty sure, being my first batch and all, i was overly wary about sanitation.. but u never know what's lurking in the toolshed i guess...
i am proud to say that i haven't just up and dumped the batch out. i've tried to choke down every last drop. i've got about 2 gallons left and its just about time to free up that corny for another batch.
i've read palmers book. and am somewhat familiar with the "gusher" infection. i'm not sure, tho, if i'm experiencing the "gusher", or am i experiencing undercarbonation in the corny, and overcarbonation in the bottles?
i used one teaspoon priming sugar per bottle, and 1/3 cup in the keg.
help me out yall... i kno ya got SOMETHING for meh.
and if somebody can put the "gusher" infection in scientific terms, i'll put my glasses on and try to at least look smart while i'm reading it.

so my first batch ever was set in 2 seperate carboy's. one was a 1 gallon growler that stayed in that growler for it's entire fermenting period. the other was racked from a 5 gallon carboy, to a secondary corny keg. the 1 gallon growler was bottled into 16 oz bottles and 2 1 litre bottles. the corny was racked to another corny, which was then primed.
the first bottle i opened from the growler (opened pretty warm fyi) came out of the bottle at least a foot. like a small volcano. i chilled the rest from the growler and they all came out REALLY good.
the corny seems to be diminishing in flavor (allmost like it's turning into carbonated water) as the weeks pass. it's been about 4 months since i've brewed this batch and it's progressively getting worse in taste.
i'm pretty sure, being my first batch and all, i was overly wary about sanitation.. but u never know what's lurking in the toolshed i guess...
i am proud to say that i haven't just up and dumped the batch out. i've tried to choke down every last drop. i've got about 2 gallons left and its just about time to free up that corny for another batch.
i've read palmers book. and am somewhat familiar with the "gusher" infection. i'm not sure, tho, if i'm experiencing the "gusher", or am i experiencing undercarbonation in the corny, and overcarbonation in the bottles?
i used one teaspoon priming sugar per bottle, and 1/3 cup in the keg.
help me out yall... i kno ya got SOMETHING for meh.
and if somebody can put the "gusher" infection in scientific terms, i'll put my glasses on and try to at least look smart while i'm reading it.

I'm actually having a similar problem with my kegged munich dunkel and it is most likely because of sanitation. I never once had this problem when I kegged until now and I think it's because of the way I'm cleaning. You really need to take everything apart each time you use it and scrub all the gaskets poppit valves...etc.... Oh and make sure you clean the top of the inside of the keg. You never know if sugar dried up there festering with wild yeast cuz ya cant see from that angle. Now technically we dont know if the infection is from the keg or your initial fermentation. So make sure you are using some kind of sanitizer with everything the cooled wort touches post boil. also check your fermenters.

Back