Long and strong fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrane

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The Saturday before last I completed my first full mash (and subsequently my second, later that day). The first is a Sierra-ish American pale and the second an IPA. OG's were 1.053 and 1.067 respectively. The APA was inoculated with a 1200 ml starter that was step cultured from a 24 oz bottle of SNPA. The IPA with a vial of White labs California Ale. After a short lag (~6 hrs and 24 hrs respectively) both beers were on there way. Well here it is, 13 days later and both still have a thick kraeusen and have not yet begun to flocculate. Specific Grav. has fallen to about 1.018 for both.Temp has been steady at 65 F. I have brewed several extract batches and never had such a prolonged primary fermentation. Just curious if this seems odd to any else. I used American 2-row base and a single step infusion @ 153 F.:confused:

I brewed two 1.070 batches on 18th one stopped bubbling a couple days ago the other still gurlges randomly. I sure hope yours and mine are both ok, I get all teary eyed thinking my brew might be sick.

I had an IPA that had a decent krausen and bubbling airlock up to the two week point, and then it started to drop of frapidly. It turned out fine.

Why rush? Fermentation time cannot be controlled; pulling the beer off the yeast prematurely might leave some fermentation by-products.

we brewed a big ale on 11/18, og 1.074ish.

i still have the blow off equiped, and it's still spitting out some crud and swirling around like mad. :ban:

your beer is not sick, it's just very thorough ;)

"Why rush? Fermentation time cannot be controlled; pulling the beer off the yeast prematurely might leave some fermentation by-products."

Thank you for your concern. Of course I wouldn't dare do such a thing!!! I think the real danger would be stalling fermentation, not to mention too much trub in the secondary. However, I sure would like to brew another on saturday, so if anyone here can whisper to yeasts, please tell mine to get a move on.

TheCrane said:
Thank you for your concern. Of course I wouldn't dare do such a thing!!! I think the real danger would be stalling fermentation, not to mention too much trub in the secondary. However, I sure would like to brew another on saturday, so if anyone here can whisper to yeasts, please tell mine to get a move on.
Yeah, I hear you, brewing is fun. But, like you said, you don't want to stall the fermentaion. Hopefully the yeast will flocc out and the gravity will fall soon.

TheCrane said:
"Why rush? Fermentation time cannot be controlled; pulling the beer off the yeast prematurely might leave some fermentation by-products."

Just another reason to go out and get some more brew toys :D

IowaStateFan said:
Just another reason to go out and get some more brew toys :D

Yes, yes. Buy more fermenters. This is how I ended up with eight carboys. Good thing I got all of them cornie kegs for the secondaries. :drunk:

Wables said:
Yes, yes. Buy more fermenters. This is how I ended up with eight carboys. Good thing I got all of them cornie kegs for the secondaries. :drunk:

The problem is, brewing is so much more fun than bottling (for those of us pre-kegerator). So it's so easy, when you have four or five (or 12) fermenters around, to just fill them all up while thoroughly conditioned beer sits unattended in the basement.

I went home and swirled the brew that had stopped bubbling the airlock and it is back to work now.

My fermentation temps are ranging from 62-65F

Guess who just bought a brand new 6 gal carboy. That makes three for me (plus the long since retired ale pails).

Ahhh, nothing like a good fix.

Also, I bumped the temp up to ~75 F to try and speed things along. My patience has a very strong correlation to my beer stocks!!!

Back