Foam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangecarr

Reaction score
My first brew has been conditioning it my keg for about 2.5 weeks. It is a king keg (top tap). Wen I turn the tap on all i get is foam...

Is this because i used too much priming sugar? The beer itself isn't too fizzy... do i need to put the keg in a cooler place so more co2 is absorbed into solution?

Cheers

66F is way to warm to serve your beer without expecting foam. Drinking beer at room temperature is fine but when it comes out of the tap is needs to be under 45 at least to control the foam. Then you can let the beer rest until it gets to the temperature you desire to drink it at. If you have no way to cool your kegs down for serving then you should bottle your beer instead.

gonzoflick said:
66F is way to warm to serve your beer without expecting foam. Drinking beer at room temperature is fine but when it comes out of the tap is needs to be under 45 at least to control the foam. Then you can let the beer rest until it gets to the temperature you desire to drink it at. If you have no way to cool your kegs down for serving then you should bottle your beer instead.

66 F is possibly a wee bit too warm, for cask-conditioned beers, but should be OK if the beer is mildly carbonated. That is the way the British have been doing it for hundreds of years.

Cask-conditioned beer should be 55 to 65 degrees F, and carbonated about 1 or 1.5 atmospheres. (American Lager, {or BMC} is typically 2.5 to 3 atmospheres, and 32 to 40 degrees F, for a comparison.)

steve

Back