Brewing my first 10 bbl batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wanted to thank everyone for their support ! This is big thing for me and I appreciate and welcome all of the comments. Brewing 10 bbls of Amber Ale tongiht, changed my mind about the stout.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support ! This is big thing for me and I appreciate and welcome all of the comments. Brewing 10 bbls of Amber Ale tonight, changed my mind about the stout.

Need a hand? I'm less than an hour away... PM if interested...time of day or night not an issue.

wottaguy said:
Need a hand? I'm less than an hour away... PM if interested...time of day or night not an issue.

Ditto that, about 25 mins away I think. Always willing to help brew/clean for a little education

This is beyond awesome. Congrats! I'm especially interested in your friend cleaning the kegs. We are looking to do the same thing. Do you if he's giving you a "friend" discount or is this a standard price? About how long does it take?

ajwillys said:
This is beyond awesome. Congrats! I'm especially interested in your friend cleaning the kegs. We are looking to do the same thing. Do you if he's giving you a "friend" discount or is this a standard price? About how long does it take?

Makes me wonder If I should start a keg cleaning business :p

All are welcome to help, 12 crane street Southbridge
Be here for at least 4 more hours

Damn! i didn't check the thread when i got back from biking. Let us know next time you are brewing and need a hand?

how did the brew go?

Went well, 310 Gal (10 bbls) of a beautiful Amber Ale..
this is the grain bill:

600 lbs 2-row
50 lbs caramel 80
25 lbs wheat (for more body and head retention)
5 lbs roasted barley
5 lbs munich

Hops:

2 lbs columbus
2 lbs cascade
1 lb fuggle

going to pitch the yeast tomorrow when the glycol system bring the temp down to 72, using Nottingham. when I pitch the yeast tomorrow, i will prob clean everything and run some caustic through the system. on Sat or Sun I will be filtering and moving the first batch to the bright beer tank and throwing on the CO2.

Damn! i didn't check the thread when i got back from biking. Let us know next time you are brewing and need a hand?

how did the brew go?

I'm always a day late and a dollar short. Please do let us know with at least a 12 hr notice. I still would like to help any way I can.

Went well, 310 Gal (10 bbls) of a beautiful Amber Ale..
this is the grain bill:

600 lbs 2-row
50 lbs caramel 80
25 lbs wheat (for more body and head retention)
5 lbs roasted barley
5 lbs munich

Hops:

2 lbs columbus
2 lbs cascade
1 lb fuggle

going to pitch the yeast tomorrow when the glycol system bring the temp down to 72, using Nottingham. when I pitch the yeast tomorrow, i will prob clean everything and run some caustic through the system. on Sat or Sun I will be filtering and moving the first batch to the bright beer tank and throwing on the CO2.

sounds awesome! what was the OG and how late did the session go?
thanks for sharing!

Well, we are on tap now. It's an Unfiltered Belgian White. 5.5%
very tasty.

here is a pic of us enjoying the first pour..

First Beer 2.jpg

Congrats! How many batches have you brewed so far? I'm still available to help anytime needed...are you open for visitors?

we brewed 2 10 bbl batches. the belgian and an amber. help is always welcome. We are not going to brew this week, we have to wait on our malt order to come in. We will be filtering the amber, maybe kegging it in about a week.

How big are your malt orders at any single time? Do you talk directly to the malt company or a distributor and I'm guessing you get pretty sweet pricing.

Congratulations bro, I'm happy to hear that others get to live their dream! Once Uncle Sam let's me go in 2 1/2yrs I plan on opening a brewery as well! I can't wait!!

So here is a quick update:

we are haveing a few problems with the fermenters. They are converted dairy vessels. The problem with that is that they are dish bottem and not connical. Also there is are no sample ports on any of the fermenters. Makes it kind of difficult to sample for gravity reading. We also had a problem getting 2 of them to get a good seal. We have fixed that issue and it seems to be working. we are looking now to find someone who can weld on some sample ports with out screwing up the glycol jackets. The good news is the Belgian White is on tap and people are buying it.

Sounds like its time to pony up and get some conicals. You'll be able to dump trub and harvest yeast. I can imagine yeast is pretty expensive per batch. Check out Glacier Tanks, they offer competitive prices for small brewery equipment.

I would like to thank everyone on HBT for all of the great support! Last night we cleaned a few of the vessels. We were joined by "Wottaguy" from HBT. What a great help he was! (and he brought a sample of his Strong Scottish Ale, Wow...yummy!) I am thankful for the homebrew community and all of the great friends I have made here! You people rock !

Kris

Kris...
Was a great pleasure to be able to meet all of you and to assist. Of course your brews are very tasty and I look forward to assisting again next week. Thanks to you and your partners for being such gracious hosts. You guys ROCK!!!!

Kris -

Any update to hows things are going? If you can, can you elaborate on how the the deal works with the pub buying your kegs? Is the money enough to keep the operation floating?

This thread is awesome! You are living the dream. Talk about being in the right place at the right time! Nice to have a lot of friends in the business to help out. I would love to stop by if I am ever in New England. Good luck! And keep the pictures coming!

We had the chance to brew with Kris and the guys down at the Dark Horse last night, and despite it being the longest brewday of my life, it was an absolutely awesome experience. If there was any doubt left in my mind that this was what I wanted to do with my life, it's now gone. Thanks so much Kris, and everyone who was there to help.

We had the chance to brew with Kris and the guys down at the Dark Horse last night, and despite it being the longest brewday of my life, it was an absolutely awesome experience. If there was any doubt left in my mind that this was what I wanted to do with my life, it's now gone. Thanks so much Kris, and everyone who was there to help.

Just looked up the address of the tavern and you are the same exit as my sister! :) :ban:

I am about 30 minutes away but i am up there all the time, what are the hours of the tavern? would love to come have a brew or help out with a brew if you need an extra set of hands. :)

Hello to everyone !!!!

here's another update. Things are slowly moving forward. We have 3 on tap now and will keg our pale this weekend. Right now we have a Belgian Pale, a Red and an IPA. Our IPA was recently at a hophead fest and we went through a 1/4 keg in 20 min !! Nice! it was very well recieved. I would like to thank all of our friends from HBT..Ron, Mike, and Adam..you guys rock ! We have had a few problems with the equipment, but are working it out. Adam and Mike came by during our keg/clean day and completly broke down our wort chiller and pump. We had an issue with it when we brewed and once again had to transfer to the vessel and use the glycol system to bring the temp dowm. It seems to be running smoooth now! We are lucky to have made such good friends. I hope Adam shares the Keg and grain i gave him yesturday, sure he will. So we are 80 kegs into production and taking it slow so we can refine our brewing. Each batch is geting better and better. the BPA is about 6 weeks old and has cleared up amazingly! it loos and taste awesome! I think the IPA is my favorite so far, very yummy.
We might do a test bach of a vanilla pale ale, not sure if i want to make 10 bbls of it. We have had the chance to sample some of the homebrew that Ron, Mike, and Adam have made and we are talking about scaling one of them up for a 10 bbl batch. If there was just more time in the day.....If anyone is local in the are, please feel free to come down to the Dark Horse Tavern in Southbridge, Ma on 12 Crane Street. I'm usually there Wed-Thur-Fri. Going tonight to check some temps and have a beer or two. The pub is closed on Sun-Mon.

here's a pic of our tap being poured..

photo.jpg

The IPA is going quick! got 19 keg for the 10 bbl batch. I'm not sure how many are left, still quite a few. The rate is one every 4 or 5 days or so. the new Pale is going even quicker!..We only kegged 2 kegs from it, wanted to condition it a bit longer. We just wanted to have it on tap for the weekend. The style we were looking for was something on the lines of a easy drinking beer (dare i say Bud lite). I know that it has been very well recieved so far. the pub manager had 6 or 7 that night. kept the ABV down around 4.5%. Not my traditional 5.5-6% (I get a little heavy with the malt sometimes). Anyway...it's yummy and very easy to drink.

Still not sure about the next batch....maybe another BPA..

The IPA is going quick! got 19 keg for the 10 bbl batch. I'm not sure how many are left, still quite a few. The rate is one every 4 or 5 days or so. the new Pale is going even quicker!..We only kegged 2 kegs from it, wanted to condition it a bit longer. We just wanted to have it on tap for the weekend. The style we were looking for was something on the lines of a easy drinking beer (dare i say Bud lite). I know that it has been very well recieved so far. the pub manager had 6 or 7 that night. kept the ABV down around 4.5%. Not my traditional 5.5-6% (I get a little heavy with the malt sometimes). Anyway...it's yummy and very easy to drink.

Still not sure about the next batch....maybe another BPA..

Good to hear! I'm looking forward to trying the new Pale Ale soon. The IPA was very good and I enjoyed that a lot. What other styles are you considering on doing? I recently brewed up an Ordinary Bitter which should be done soon. I'll have to bring a sample for everyone to try. 3.8% ABV

Latest posts

Back