temperature control with my keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danw06

Reaction score
So my weekend project was building a keezer and everything turned out just like I wanted it to. I would say it looks just right, operates fine, and now im just waiting on my co2 tank and one more part and we will have draft beer! The only thing I didnt realize until I dropped my 15.5 gallons of beer into the freezer is that now it is hoovering around the 29degree range which is not good and has dropped to 22 and I have been just turning it on and off to keep the temperature where it needs to be. Will this ruin my beer? and is there a quick part I can buy at lowes or home depot to help control my freezers temperature?

What you need is an external temperature controller that will over ride the feezers thermostat. There are several types available. Johnson Controls makes an analog and a digital controller. Either will work. Ranco and Love are the two other commonly used controllers. The beer will freeze if the temp stays low for very long. It won't permanently damage the beer though. If it happens, just let it thaw out and it will be fine. You could use a timer to turn the freezer on and off, but you will need to experiment with the intervals and it will be tricky to maintain a constant temp, but it might be better than doing it manually. You can get a cheap timer at HD or Lowes for about $10. Set the timer to run for about 1/2 hour on and 1 hour off to start with and adjust as needed. That should get you in the ball park. It will take considerable time for the temps to equalize when making adjustments. Sometimes as much as 24 hours, so some patience is required.

Thanks for the help! I actually got my hands on a "line voltage thermostat" and have it set to turn the freezer off when it reaches 30 degrees....then it will allow it to come back on when it gets to 40. You think this will work out alright? Ive got a ton of pics I am hoping to post when I totally finish the project.

Back