Not carbed after 6 weeks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
Bottled a Belgian (Fin Du Monde Clone) 6 weeks ago and have been trying them here and there to check on progress. After 6 weeks, the one I tried last night was still barely carbonated. Specifically, there was a slight gas release when I popped the cap and some bubbles in the beer immediately after the pour, but no head and tastes flat.

It's by far the biggest beer I've brewed at 9% and I expect it to take a bit longer than what I'm used to. However, after 6 weeks I'm wondering if something is wrong. Per the instructions, I pitched a propogator pack 3 days prior to bottling. They taste good... just flat.

Any ideas? Just more time?

the three weeks at 70 we recommend is just a rule of thumb, And factors like temp during storge, ad gravity of beer factor into it.

I have a detailed blog about carbonation and conditioning here. Revvy's Blog, Of patience and bottle conditioning.

Your issue is like 99% of them...it really is a matter of patience.

I have had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks to carb, and had a 1.090 original gravity belgian strong not carbonate for 3 months. Then it turned out fine.

When in doubt, wait it out.

:mug:

the three weeks at 70 we recommend is just a rule of thumb, And factors like temp during storge, ad gravity of beer factor into it.

I have a detailed blog about carbonation and conditioning here. Revvy's Blog, Of patience and bottle conditioning.

Your issue is like 99% of them...it really is a matter of patience.

I have had stouts and porters take 6-8 weeks to carb, and had a 1.090 original gravity belgian strong not carbonate for 3 months. Then it turned out fine.

When in doubt, wait it out.

Waiting it out... Appreciate the reassurance! I'm not going to touch another until week 8.

Belgians bottle conditions in a warm room. How warm? Warmer than you think.

Glazen Toren bottle conditions at 29.5 °C (about 85.1 °F).

Since they are on your mind, you might want to consider inverting or rolling the bottles on a table top to re-suspend the yeast and get them up working again, and maybe moving them to a warmer place..but other than that time is all it will need...one minute they will fully pop and all will be well.

That's what my big belgian did.

Belgians bottle conditions in a warm room. How warm? Warmer than you think.

Glazen Toren bottle conditions at 29.5 °C (about 85.1 °F).

Not surprising considering belgian yeasts are usually fermented higher, and carbing is really just a tiny fermentaion in a trapped environment.

And I'm pretty sure temp played a roll in mine becasue the ambient in my place in the winter was in the 60's and it took forever to get anything to carb.

Thanks for the responses. I've had these at 70 degrees and am definitely going to try a warmer spot for the next 2 weeks.

Back