What should a gree flat and warm brew taste like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhymenoceros

Reaction score
I've heard people on here saying that they taste their beer as they go, after they take readings and before they bottle... ect. What should a green flat and warm brew taste like, how do you know if its good or not?

It usually does not taste good, but if there is a problem, you'll know it. It will make you want to vomit, or retch at the very least.:D

I've tasted a green, warm flat beer before and wanted another pint. Others have tasted like ****. There is really no way to tell.

A green flat beer won't be very good, but you 'll be able to taste it and see the potential there. With experience, you'll know "Oh wow- this is going to be GOOD!" vs a "meh, it'll be pretty drinkable". In my case, I usually see if more dryhopping is needed for IPAs and APAs, and see how clear the beer is. Today I tasted a warm green APA and thought it was great when I kegged it. I debated dryhopping more, but decided it was just about right. In a couple of weeks, that will be a very nice beer.

Tasting the wort the first time shocked me. It was, well, just bad. Bitter and sweet, and not at all appealing. But it turns out that it was a very good beer, and that experience helped me to appreciate all the stages.

I recently used a batch of my LHBS End of the Trail Ale as an experiment. I brewed it, 2 weeks in primary, 1 week in secondary then force carbonated. Since then I've have 1 a day (more than one as of late) with the sole purpose of trying to identify nose and taste characteristics.

It started off as a chore because it was beer and better than some I've bought, but lacking. After 2 weeks of this I'm starting to have a hard time to restrict myself to one as the flavors have started to mature and really shine. I hesitate to say that I can make it another month doing this!

Maybe not the best idea, but it sure is fun and you can also chart the aging process.

I snuk a taste of my first batch today when I was taking a hydo reading, and damn that was a tasty beer. Warm, flat, and 7 days old: one of the best beers I've had.

Wait til you have one thats actually ready!

Then wait til you drink your final one - that is bittersweet it will be the tastiest of the batch, but make you want to cry cause its the last one...
-Me

I kegged my Wheat about a week ago. I tasted it before it went in and have been sampling it every day since. I can really tell the difference within the last 2 days once the temp is cold enough and the beer starts to absorb the CO2 the falvours really start to take off.. I hope I can control myself enough to see what it tastes like once it's matured!

I agree with David about the apple taste.

Just drank the hydro sample of my MO/Galena SMaSH the other day. It tasted like bitter sweet grain. It had been in the fermenter for almost 2 weeks. I will let it sit another 2 weeks or so. Then i will be transferring 5 Gallons to a secondary with some oak chips and the other 5 gallons to a keg. I'll let the keg sit and wait a couple weeks with the other batch on oak chips. then I'll rack the oaked batch to a keg, throw them both in the keezer and put them on gas.

Back