Dry Lager Yeast at Ale Temps: s-23 or w-34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igliashon

Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a faux-lager at ale temps, just wondering what sort of characteristics I can expect from either of these two yeasts if I use them at ale temperatures. I brew gluten-free beer and clean-fermenting yeasts aren't always beneficial, since the usual sorghum or rice extracts I use are either twangy or bland. I figured using lager yeasts at ale temps would give me some more interesting characteristics to play with, but if the results are "bad interesting" rather than "good interesting" I'd rather not waste my time.

The reason I'm not posting this in the gluten-free forum is because, well, it's relatively unpopulated and this is really a question about yeast anyway.

They would be "bad interesting". You'd be better off using t-58 or wb-06, belgian and wheat strains, to get interesting flavors.

I intend to try both of those (in fact, I've got a batch with T-58 going right now that I'm really looking forward to), but have you actually tried either of those yeasts at ale temperatures? The Northern Brewer site says S-23 works fine at temps between 60-68 and only gets esters at lager temps.

I tried a beer someone made with 34/70 at 65ish. It was pretty good, but did not taste like a lager at all. I got some honey and apple flavors from it.

Latest posts

Back