lagering question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandalG

Reaction score
I did a Vienna lager for an upcoming Cinco de Mayo party that's just about done in primary. I need to move it to make room for another batch in the fermentation chamber but don't have room in the kegerator yet to lager it. We are having a St. Patty's Day party next weekend so it's full with other beers. I plan on kicking a few kegs next weekend so this may be a dumb question but will it hurt anything to keg it tomorrow and let it sit at room temp (70) for a week before lagering. I'm not sure it will have any effect on the yeast. I did a DR the last few days so it's at 65 right now versus the 51 I fermented it at the last few weeks.

Honestly. If its already at 65 I don't think that a while longer at 70 is going to do it any harm although I'm sure some purists may dissagree. And it may really help clean the beer of diasytl and other byproducts. The biggest concern with letting it sit that warm is its more suseptible to oxidation. I would make sure and pressurized the keg so there is a protective layer of co2. It will aslso help the beer settle.

Do you mean Chicago by Windy City? In that case put it outside. It can't be that warm in Chicago at the moment.

^ Yeah I thought about that but it's still getting below freezing at night around here and that was another concern.

Put it in a water bath. The water will freeze long before the beer will. If it is really cold, say less than 25, I'd do something to keep it warmer though.

Back