This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to a pro hockey game. I pay for parking. It's $15. As I drive up the attendant takes my $20 gives me a $5 dollar bill and parking voucher. I say nothing....

The place is mobbed with people walking around. There's 100s cars behind me. We are trying to hook up with another couple and I have no clue where I'm going. The wife is annoying the hell out of me with back seat driving.

As I pull away from the parking attendant, I hear the lady say "Hey a$$hole you're welcome.

If I could, I'd have backed up and said, FU.

In general, I believe in being polite, and saying thanks when somebody does something for you. It's like she should have been saying thanks for coming to Allstate Area.

She didn't do $hit for me other than take 15 from and hand me a piece of paper.

Anybody in public who has there face glued to their phone.

th.jpg

For many months, my friend has been trying to arrange an evening for me to come over to his place and check out his home theater. Finally, this past weekend, the stars aligned and everything came together and I had earmarked the evening to spend at his place. He cooked up some amazing steaks, then we went downstairs to watch a movie on this enormous 80" flatscreen TV and high-end surround-sound system. It was amazing. Except for one thing.

Motion Smoothing.

He had never changed the defaults on his (enormous, 80" flatscreen) TV. It was a Sharp Aquos, and the "Motion Smoothing" feature was still enabled. I tolerated it until the first bathroom break, then casually suggested maybe I could have the remote and dig around through the settings to see if I could disable it. He wasn't sure what I was talking about, but was happy to let me try. I found the setting (120 Hz, "Motion Smoothing") and turned it off. Except that it was still on. Next pee-break, I tried again, and changed the display profile to "Movie," and confirmed that the "Motion Smoothing" was "Off." Except it was still on.

I sucked it up for the rest of the movie, and the next day I did a little Googling and discovered that for his model of TV, even if you turn it "Off," it's still "On" for all "Video Profile" settings ("TV," "Movie," "Sports," etc.) except "Gaming." So even if you turn it "Off," it's still "On" unless you've changed the video profile to "Gaming."

It really robbed me of the movie experience. The entire time, the video had the dreaded "Soap Opera Effect."

I wish a painful death upon whoever invented that horrible "motion smoothing" effect, and decided it should be the default. I cannot strongly enough convey how much I hate it. It takes what would ordinarily be a pleasant movie experience and completely bumps me from the whole experience. It's impossible not to notice it. It's horrible. It infuriates me.

Oh man, yes. It took me a solid hour of pissing around with settings on my Samsung LED to get it to a decent picture quality. That whole motion smoothing thing SUCKS.

Motion Smoothing.

Oh my God. I had no idea this had a name AND that it was a setting you could turn off. I had simply assumed that all HD TV made things move weird.

Time to start messing with the settings!

LPOSMF'rs. Who miss the exit on the tollway...

Today around 11:30 a guy was driving in reverse on the inside lane on I-88/I-290 just past York Road, west bound..... (Chicago)

Or should I say east bound in the west bound side.

I'm like WTF.... Get off at the next exit.

Donation solicitation at the grocery store checkout. Not that it is intentional on the part of the charity, or the retail chain, but all too many of the immature cashiers like to add a guilt trip to their donation request.

There are certain stores in this area that I avoid all together because of this.

Beyond the annoyance factory, my primary reason is that I only make charitable donations to organizations and causes that I have personally been able to fully research, and insure:

a) the groups values are in line with my own

B) they have an efficient organization with appropriate administrative overhead.

Engineers who refer to a PID as a P&ID. Not even close to the same thing!

Engineers who refer to a PID as a P&ID. Not even close to the same thing!

People & Titles - Specifically that say technician, technologist or engineer that don't have tech or engineering related degree.

I can't help but think of somebody yelling "is there a doctor in the house....." a guy is sprawled out on the floor.

Some guy shows up, "Yeah I'm doctor.". Starts giving last rights.

He's got a doctorate in theology. - LOL

The attitude of good enough, safe enough and "appropriate" enough BS that is gonna get a n00b killed.

People & Titles - Specifically that say technician, technologist or engineer that don't have tech or engineering related degree.

LOL, that drives my wife nuts! She's an *actual* engineer (Industrial), with the iron ring and everything. Here in Canada, "Engineer" is a protected title, like "Doctor." But that doesn't stop people from claiming to be a "Landscaping Engineer" or a "Software Engineer." If you haven't taken the core Engineering curriculum, followed by a specialization, and then graduated from an accredited university and had the title bestowed upon you, then you're not an "Engineer." Knock it off.

LOL, that drives my wife nuts! She's an *actual* engineer (Industrial), with the iron ring and everything. Here in Canada, "Engineer" is a protected title, like "Doctor." But that doesn't stop people from claiming to be a "Landscaping Engineer" or a "Software Engineer." If you haven't taken the core Engineering curriculum, followed by a specialization, and then graduated from an accredited university and had the title bestowed upon you, then you're not an "Engineer." Knock it off.
This. Both my wife and I are graduates of the Faculty of Engineering at U of T, wear our Iron Rings with pride, but won't refer to ourselves as Engineers professionally because neither of us got a P.Eng. designation.

Pardon me, but if I install a beer engine, I'm gonna call myself a Beer Engineer !! And if it pisses off Leafs fans, all the better !! J/K .. I don't try to piss off Leafs fans .. it just happens.

Those that need a minor title really tick me. I'm going to be a Colonel of Ministry Engineering, CEO, PHD next week. Well, maybe not next week, I have to go to Togo or Bimini or someplace for a week. After that, Nigerian Prince. Start quivering, lackeys.

Pardon me, but if I install a beer engine, I'm gonna call myself a Beer Engineer !! And if it pisses off Leafs fans, all the better !! J/K .. I don't try to piss off Leafs fans .. it just happens.

That doesn't count unless it's choo-choo train that runs on beer. :cross:

People in the Boston airport still talking about deflategate.

All the boston sports stations complaining they still have to talk about deflategate. Even more so the people who call up to give their two cents about it. Heck it has been mentioned on NPR almost daily the past week. Shut up already.

When people on TV (especially the cooking shows) and some of my own family speak with a perfect English (American) accent and mid-sentence, say a Spanish word with a native-Spanish accent. And then they continue the sentence in perfect English. That annoys the **** out of me.

Ha-ha, this! on the flip side, I have a BSCpE and until just a few years ago, my in-laws thought I built computers for a living. They actually thought people who built or fixed computers, ala Geek Squad, had a degree in computer engineering. Urgh.

When people on TV (especially the cooking shows) and some of my own family speak with a perfect English (American) accent and mid-sentence, say a Spanish word with a native-Spanish accent. And then they continue the sentence in perfect English. That annoys the **** out of me.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that is just insanely obnoxious.

You need to cook up some criadillas with pico de gallo. Oh sorry - I mean bull's nuts with chopped pepper, onion and tomato.

Damn straight!;)
I park in the boonies anyway.

I'm gonna door ding you for the fun of it.... LOL

I don't know why people feel so protective of their car that they have to park in the boonies.

I have a nice Lexus but I don't do it.

I have nice furniture, but there's no plastic covering it like you'd see on Seinfeld. (It might be me imagining this. I could see George stuck to the plastic.)

I think it's the anxiety of it not being new any longer. Makes me wanna pop that ego they have going.

Carrying every key you own with you at all times. It doesn't annoy me. It's just dumb. It's show boating. Oh. Look at me. I have all these keys. I'm so very important. Uh-huh. And if you lose one, you've lost them all. Dummy.

I'm gonna door ding you for the fun of it.... LOL

I don't know why people feel so protective of their car that they have to par park in the boonies.

I have a nice Lexus but I don't do it.

I have nice furniture, but there's no plastic covering it like you'd see on Seinfeld. (It might be me imagining this. I could see George stuck to the plastic.)

I think it's the anxiety of it not being new any longer. Makes me wanna pop that ego they have going.
I have a 2002 Honda Accord with 150,000 miles on it, that aside from a dent in the left front quarter panel (from my mailbox falling off the house this winter), still looks like it just rolled off the dealer's lot.

Some people (myself included) believe in taking care of your tools to make them last. We take pride in maintaining them in good condition. The inconsiderate door dings and shopping cart scratches piss us off, because someone else didn't show our vehicle the same respect that we show theirs.

Donation solicitation at the grocery store checkout. Not that it is intentional on the part of the charity, or the retail chain, but all too many of the immature cashiers like to add a guilt trip to their donation request.

There are certain stores in this area that I avoid all together because of this.

Beyond the annoyance factory, my primary reason is that I only make charitable donations to organizations and causes that I have personally been able to fully research, and insure:

a) the groups values are in line with my own

B) they have an efficient organization with appropriate administrative overhead.

YES!!!! I give to charity, but to the charity of my choice. Don't need to feel guilty while picking up groceries.
South Park did a great episode about this.

I don't spend a ton of time on the road but I've noticed that every time the interstate has a rolling roadblock going there's a Prius leading the parade.

Is that a thing, now?

Cheers! :drunk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back