Ginsing Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kieth

Reaction score
Does any body have a receipe for Ginsing beer? I had some out in B.C. a couple of years ago. Something called Rethink beer, made by Tree Brewery, on contract for some guys. They also added ginko and tribulus as well. It had an.......effect!
I would like to try to make a batch of beer with ginsing root, but I would like an idea of proportions. I have whole dried root from Kamloops. The taste is bitter sweet, not unpleasent at all. The Chinese lady from whom I purchased the roots told me that it is commonly added to chicken soup.
Thanks

my approach to using more exotic ingredients has been to make an alcohol extract when possible. Take a cup or two of neutral alcohol (e.g. cheap vodka) and steep your herb in it for a few days to a week, then strain out the chunks and keep the extract in an airtight jar. You can then add drop at a time to find a good ratio of extract to base recipe.

It's generally a good rule of thumb to add herbal flavorings at the end of the boil or even at the time you rack your beer to a secondary fermentor, as the aromatics that give much of the scent and flavor to herbs are volatile and boil off fairly quickly if added during your boil time.

Back