Addiction, obsession, or both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naggs

Reaction score
So after a 10 year layoff (which I was still a rookie), I got back in the homebrew game 3 weeks ago. Brewing extract with specialty grains, things seems to be going great with my first batch, a blonde ale. I had the benefit of knowing the basics already, but now with tools such as HBT and youtube, it is a COMPLETELY different experience than before.

So BAM last Sunday I brew another batch, this time a raspberry wheat (just doing extract I think. Still deciding on fresh raspberries). Already cutting down on a lot of inefficiencies and using Beersmith to hit my style. OG comes out perfect!

Now I am frantically putting together an all grain system. I just got a 36qt pot and scored a cheap propane tank. Basically just need to get a burner, wort chiller, and convert my cooler into a mash tun.

Basically, I'm all fired up to brew again and I still have two 5 gallon batches that aren't even bottled yet! Do I have a problem?!

I say NO!!! :tank::ban::rockin:

Imo,you get addicted to brewing beer,then you get obsessed with trying to make an excellent one. So no,you're normal...for a home brewer!:D

I did the same as you did. Did it awhile ago then quit then came back to it. Lol did 2 extract batches then went to AG and haven't looked back since. I really love the ag process and I think your gonna too. To me, it makes better beer.

It seems like addition and obsession are both common in this hobby. I know I have an issue with both.

Don't feel bad- I have 3 batches fermenting and one batch bottled and I have not opened the first one yet. My productivity has disappeared at work and my knowledge of brewing and beer science have increased exponentially!

Even moreso when your wife comes with you to the LHBS to buy more ingredients! Cha freaking ching!

What! I hate when that happens. It's always "you don't need this, you dont need that", "I thought you were only buying grain for one batch", and "lets go to the mall".

-JK my SWMBO isnt like that. She does spend a little too much time in the wine aisle though!

unionrdr said:
Even moreso when your wife comes with you to the LHBS to buy more ingredients! Cha freaking ching!

My SWMBO has no problem coming and even sometimes paying because I still get rent and car payment paid.

I just think it's cool that she gets into it since I let her pick out a kit for her 1st with state tax return money. Then went to Midwest & got her a BB ale pale. The one with the dripping "B" & all the graduations & another airlock just in time for her to brew her 1st on National Home brewer's Day. Her next one will be a Sam Adam's-ish summer ale clone I put together.

you definitely have a problem.. with only 2 batches in your pipeline so far you need to get a couple more batches on the way.

I-am-Sam,serial brewer! Ha! I like it! You know your "enabling" when your wife is sitting beside you during videos & beer time asking,"hey babe,do you have all the ingredients for our next beers? We're getting low,It's time to make some more!"?! I just went to 2 different sites to get her Cooper's OS Lager can (base of the summer ale),then back to Midwest for a long brewing paddle (long white plastic like the spoon,but paddle on the end),& a fine mesh SS strainer that doesn't cost $30+. They had an 8" diameter one with hooks on the strainer end,& a handle long enough to hold it up on the other. Only $10Now I can strain out the hop dust from squeezing the hop sacks over the BK.
Always seem to find a need for more toys. I'm starting to worry about what I'm becoming...:drunk::cross::D

...& I like little women with big cans,a nice caboose,& doesn't mind fetching me another beer while I pour more shots of tequila or vodka.

My friend and I have brewed two batched in the one month we started brewing. We have two weeks for our first beer to be done (a Hefe). We brewed a Saison this past Sunday, and we are already looking to get a second carboy to get another batch going. And we haven't even been able to taste the final product yet! (we split a 12 ox of the Hefe we bottled and it tasted pretty good, can't wait till it's carbonated, a couple weeks older, and cold!).

At work I'm browsing beer forums, reading about beer, its history (I've got an MA in American Cultural Studies, so I'm a bit of a nerd about this stuff), equipment, techniques, differences in style, etc. I can't seem to get enough. The process of brewing,the history of beer and brewing, and the prospect of creating and perfecting my own particular style have got me more excited than I've been in a while. I have always enjoyed beer, but this has created something else. I'm hesitant to call it a passion right now, as it's so new, and I think that it needs some staying power to be a passion, but I predict that I'll be with it for a while. I only wish I'd have discovered it earlier!

joe

I hear ya. When at work I am searching the internet for brew equipment, recipes, information. Anything I can find. I'm at work now and a brew book that I ordered from Amazon was just delivered from me. I can't see to stop. It is always on my mind. It is almost annoying, but I enjoy the info too much.

I think more about beer stuff,videos,forums,equipment,and brewing way more than work....by a long shot. Maybe there is a future for me.....in BEER.... hahahaha. Obsessed? Count me in...for me its the challenge to do it as close to perfect as possible. Is it relaxing to brew...not always...sometimes stressful as I want to do it right....everytime...I definitley need to RDWHAHB more....this should be a fun hobby...sometimes I make it too stressful....thinking of all the tweaks I need to do each time I brew.

Back