To those using the 15G Barrels from Us Plastics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just received my purty new Blue 15G fermenter for 11G Batches. But whew is there a plastic smell inside. I plan on just doing an oxiclean soak but didn't know if there were any more tips for clearing it up. Also what size rubber stopper you using in the small vent?

I just received my purty new Blue 15G fermenter for 11G Batches. But whew is there a plastic smell inside. I plan on just doing an oxiclean soak but didn't know if there were any more tips for clearing it up. Also what size rubber stopper you using in the small vent?

Is this a conical? I'm considering a 15 gal conical from US Plastics.

Take a dump in it. That will kill the "plastic smell"..... Sorry, but that was the best I could come up with.
One thing, after a good long soak in hot PBW, put some water in it for a day or two and then taste it. That will at least give you an idea if the apparent smell is going to materialize in your beer as a flavor.

Not a conical.
I got THIS in Blue

I tried pooping in it already but I must have eaten some plastic, cause now it's just a s stronger plastic smell. Very discouraging.

And thanks for the #12 reference. I was actually hoping he'd catch this cause I don't know anyone besides him using it for sure. I suppose I could PM him

You really should PM him...

The stopper size is 11.5 for the BIG HOLE, I have no vent in mine.

Was getting ready to and remembered, he's kind of a jerk, probably wouldn't respond!

:D so you don't have the small size? Based on the description in my link, this container is ok to use right? I thought it was the same you had got. I'll just measure the hole and go to the LHBS

Did yours smell heavy of plastic when you received it?

Yours is 15 gal. mine is 6 gal. Yours may have a vent, mine does not, but I am sure it is the same type of container. I measured the orifice on mine and looked up the proper stopper size via google...

Yours will work fine as long as it is #2 HDPE... as for the smell, I dont recall ever sticking my nose in it, but Id expect some plasticy smell. I did do a PBW wash and Star San rinse and my beer tasted fine though.

I can't find anywhere that is says HDPE#2 but it does say food safe. I emailed them to verify. Guess it doesn't matter either way, I already bought it.

haha no the reply was in English but was:
Yes, that container is made of HDPE.

To Which my reply was:
There is no number rating on? I am not real familiar with the different ratintgs. I was just told I needed HDPE#2 and thought that's what I was buying.

To which there reply was:
It is HDPE which is the recycling code #2.

So good deal, PLus I learned what the #2 is for.

It will get get an oxiclean soak tonight and tomorrow while I'm at work.

My LHBS sells these (15 Gallon) used for $20. The LME they sell comes in them. I have 4 and they have made great fermenters so far (although I am only on the 2nd batch in them). The used ones require a very thorough Oxyclean or PBW soak before use to remove all of the LME. I couldn't believe how much came out after they were visibly clean. The LHBS also sells a plastic valve that screws into the smaller port perfectly. Blow off tube from there.

Do note: The handle on top is not for use when the thing is full. Mine say so right on top. I use the handle to wiggle them onto a hand truck and then wheel them around from there. If I need to elevate it, an auto siphon will empty more than half of the liquid into an empty one of these sitting right next to it fairly quickly. Then it is much easier to pick up to siphon off the rest.

I love my fermentor, it was $15, it is light weight, built in hinged handle and indestructible. More than I can say for... well... any other commercial fermentor out there.

The smaller hole takes a #5 stopper.

Thanks man.

Picking up my FREE new to me fermenting fridge tonight (a perfectly timed call from grandparents re-outfitting their kitchen) that will be housing this thing. Once that's home along with the new stove and microwave, I'll fill her up with oxiclean.

Latest posts

Back