What a nightmare!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francis

Reaction score
I've been using my bottling bucket to ferment and this morning I noticed it was slowly leaking (the spout seal wasn't tight enough). I was prepping my carboy to transfer the beer over and the small leak quickly turn in to a fast leak. It was either watch it pour down the sink or put my arm in and tighten the seal. I put my arm in! It's gotta be ruined right?? Should I even bother with the rest of the steps? Argh! I'm so fn pissed!

i assume your arm wasnt covered in crap...

dont dump it, it dosent cost much of anything to see if its good. I would put it in secondary let it sit and taste it come bottling time. My bet is you are fine! The beer is partially fermented and fermented beverages are a hostile environment for almost everything else.

Man, I hope your right! That's true, the expensive part is over might as well see how it turns out. Thanks for cheering me up a little!

Let it ride! I had a beer that was so screwed up I was going to dump it, instead of dumping it I racked it from under the layer of fuzz into a keg. It was terrible!! I left it for about a year in a corner, then I dragged it out and tried a pint after chilling it for a week. it wasnt the greatest, but it was drinkable, after a few more months it magically turned into a great unique beer unlike anything I have tried.

Been there...done that too. For future......events.. keep a spray bottle of star san handy to give your arm a shot before you dive in. I would'nt worry about the brew, but I know you will. My buckets have had a phone, ink pen, rusty paperclip, bic lighter and dog drool in them without effect. Oh yeah and my arm.:D cheers & welcome to HBT:tank:

Been there...done that too. For future......events.. keep a spray bottle of star san handy to give your arm a shot before you dive in. I would'nt worry about the brew, but I know you will. My buckets have had a phone, ink pen, rusty paperclip, bic lighter and dog drool in them without effect. Oh yeah and my arm.:D cheers & welcome to HBT:tank:

Thanks man, I'll try not stress too much about it! It's still bubbling so at least it'll have booze!

It's probably OK, just roll with it.

A bucket costs about $2. Jeez. Come on guys.

Preferably one without one of those sh1tty valves. Man do I hate those things. Almost much rather put a damn ball valve in those bottling buckets.

I've had this problem before. I racked to my bottling bucket to bottle and after racking noticed the same leak, tried to fix it from the outside, made it worse, stuck my arm in to fix it.

The beer turned out absolutely fine although if you were using yours for primary I assume fermentation was still going on so the risk for infection may be higher then but I'm not 100% sure.

Once, in my drunken stupor while brewing with a buddy, I stuck my arm in the buckets of fresh wort after knocking the strainer off the side of the buckets. This was pre pitching the yeast. Notice I said buckets... Plural... Meaning two of them...:drunk:

Both buckets fermented out just fine. RDWHAHB.:mug:

Heh, never thought about that. Good idea! (don't bottle much anymore tho)

Yeah, the only time I have bottled in the last little bit has been the weekend we brewed 20 gallons. Only had 2 kegs, and both were filled from a previous weekends brewing. So had to go with bottles for a couple batches. Usually don't bottle either, kegging is waaaaay easier.

Ryan M.

I did the same thing on my first batch. Let it ferment and turned into a great beer.

Like they have said RDWHAHB

Thanks guys! I guess it's all part of the learning experience!

By the way - what's RDWHAHB??

On the infection scare, I stupidly put the mason jar with my harvested yeast into the FV to slosh the remaining cake from the bottom...I always get so ADHD at pitching time. Lord knows what touched that jar before I plunged it in there. C'mon beer! Kill those microscopic bastard organisms!

Move my "Arm Hair" IPA to the secondary last night and I think I dodged the sour bullet! Definitely needs more time to condition and dry hop action but I think she'll be good. Thanks for talking me out of dumping it!!

Latest posts

Back