MLT to lager chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdxkale

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure there have been other posts on this, but hopefully this will help someone in a similar situation.

Here in ye ol' Portland, it doesn't get cold enough to use your basement for lager conditioning, so I was trying to come up with ideas to solve the problem. I plan on getting a hold of a cheep chest freezer and a temp controller soon, but I really wanted to get this beer conditioning now, since it is my first lager.

A while ago, I stepped up to 10 gallon batches and moved from my 10 Gal round cooler to a 15 gallon square one, so I had this spare MLT just sitting around. I initially just thought I'd put water in the thing and let the carboy sit in there with some frozen water bottles, but buoyancy decided that a 6 gallon better bottle displaces too much water and really wants to float, even with 5 gallons of beer in it. So, I cut a hole in the lid with a dremel, put the frozen water bottles in and crammed the lid down until I could turn it enough to lock. Instant lagering chamber.:rockin:

The whole thing cost me $3 for 6 water bottles from Fred Meyer, and it is holding a steady 38 degrees in my 58 degree basement. :mug:

Lagering chamber.jpg

Back