Rough Nipple

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
I just got a close nipple from More Beer and I’m a little disappointed as the inside is really rough, almost like 60 grit. I don’t know if I just got a bad one or if I were to order another one if it would be the same. I was almost thinking about trying to smooth the inside out with a die grinder or dremel. Any thoughts?

moisten your finger with what/whoever is available...proceed to circling the affected area in a clockwise motion; works everytime

Joking aside,

I got a similarly rough finished nipple from McMaster-Carr. I was able to easily clean up the ID with the next size up drill. Just use lots of cutting oil and take your time.

Call or email them with the issue, they should send you a new one. Why do you want to go through the effort of trying to clean it up.

So the nipple is seamless and the outside looks great. I may try to call them and see if this is typical of their stock. The way I look at it, the cost of RTVing it would be more than just buying from another vendor. It was only $2.75 and had free shipping, with a bunch of other stuff. (They always get me with that.) I just ordered from www.buyfittingsonline.com/ because they had some things I needed that MB doesn’t so I’ll see how their stock is. Just so people don’t think I’m a More Beer Hater, this is the first problem I’ve had. Everything I’ve ever gotten has been great and I’ve have had zero problems. These are the kind of things I wish I could get locally but even in the Seattle area, I can only seem to find high pressure SS fittings. While nice, they are 10x the cost.

From a More Beer Customer Service Representative

"Thank you for your inquiry. I have done research into the issue and found that the product is indeed made this way. It is a cast piece of metal, so as long as you maintain the high standards of regular brewing sanitation, then you should have no problems with the piece. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know."

While I’m not expecting pharma quality, electropolished stuff for under $3, I can’t justify using this as is. I guess nipples are one thing not to get from there.

So I took the dremmel and the little sanding drum and tried to smooth out the inside of the rough nipple. To my surprise, after about a minute of work it was really smooth and shinny. Then I took the little buffing wheel and polished the inside with BKF. All in all it took less than 5 minutes to do. Now I feel good about using and cleaning it.

From a More Beer Customer Service Representative

"Thank you for your inquiry. I have done research into the issue and found that the product is indeed made this way. It is a cast piece of metal, so as long as you maintain the high standards of regular brewing sanitation, then you should have no problems with the piece. If you have any questions or concerns please let me know."

While I’m not expecting pharma quality, electropolished stuff for under $3, I can’t justify using this as is. I guess nipples are one thing not to get from there.

So I took the dremmel and the little sanding drum and tried to smooth out the inside of the rough nipple. To my surprise, after about a minute of work it was really smooth and shinny. Then I took the little buffing wheel and polished the inside with BKF. All in all it took less than 5 minutes to do. Now I feel good about using and cleaning it.

Sounds like you got it all fixed up now.

I would use a flapper wheel to smooth it out. I live a little more south from seattle and I can get standard SS fitings. I like to buy local. Nice, you got it all up to par.

Back