1lb Cascade, one beer, why not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
I heavily overestimated my Cascade needs this year, as I bought 3lbs of whole leaf from direct hops. Here I am with tons left, so I decided to do something mildly stupid. I'm thinking about using the whole pound in one beer. I'm planning on adding 12oz at 10min and using the other 4 to dry hop. The goal here is ill still get plenty of bitterness from the 10 minutes of boiling due to the amount of hops, but I'll get huge hop aroma and flavor. So the recipe will go:

12lbs 2-row
1lb Vienna
12oz Crystal 20

12oz Cascade @ 10min
4oz Cascade Dry Hopped
WLP007 Yeast
Target OG: 1.070, FG: 1.012, ABV: 7.6%, IBU: 76, SRM: 6.1

The pound of hops cost me about $13 shipped, so its not the end of the world if the beer is bad. Has anyone done anything similar?

wowza... that seems like a crap ton, why not do like...
3oz 45
3oz 10
3oz 0

that way it's bittered and not OVERLY sweet with a ton of aroma?

10 oz with 10 minutes left? I don't think you will like the results there. I get really sweet flavors with too much late addition cascade. I would not be able to serve that beer. Maybe you can do most at 30 minute and the rest at flame-out or something. Otherwise I would make sure that is one big IPA and just bitter the heck out of it.

I figure from 12oz at 10min, I'll still get 76 IBU(7.3% AA cascades). Let's even factor in that they have been in my freezer for 8 months, and are whole hops not pellets, 55-60 IBU, that should be plenty to balance the beer

no one here is gonna stop ya! we're just giving opinions :) i would deff suggest breaking it up a bit over the last 30 minutes or so if you're set on the 10 minute mark. thats what i would do though.
the last 10mins will give you 60 IBUs, but that is going to give a huge direct punch to the nose and taste buds due to all the AA% not going anywhere

Ya, good point, that lupelin has to go somewhere. My theory was, it might be good, but I'm sure it isn't ever done because it's extremely cost prohibitive. I'll brew it up and report back. Unfortunately it's probably 3rd or 4th on my on-deck list.

Let us know how this goes. Try the Mr. Malty article on Late Hopping and try that vs all at 10 mins. Maybe cut it back to 8 oz, 8oz in an all late hopped beer might be pretty tasty...

That article was right up my alley. I was thinking about using less hops, but I figured if I was going to be reckless, I might as well be really reckless.

I figure from 12oz at 10min, I'll still get 76 IBU(7.3% AA cascades). Let's even factor in that they have been in my freezer for 8 months, and are whole hops not pellets, 55-60 IBU, that should be plenty to balance the beer

In my experience I have to shoot high on calculated IBUs in a hop bursted beer or even just a beer that is heavy on late hops but still has a bittering charge. The Tinseth formula seems to exaggerate the IBUs gained from a late addition, so when I made a 70 (calculated) IBU 1.060 OG hopbursted IPA last fall it fell short on bitterness. I would recommend splitting the 10 oz between 15 and 5 minutes in amounts that will get you to 85+ calculated IBUs.

I just used 5oz of whole hops in a 5-gallon batch. It was difficult to stir. It irreparably clogged my autosiphon. I had to pour the wort out of the kettle.

3oz is my limit for leaf hops from now on.

I just used 5oz of whole hops in a 5-gallon batch. It was difficult to stir. It irreparably clogged my autosiphon. I had to pour the wort out of the kettle.

3oz is my limit for leaf hops from now on.

I was a little worried about that. I was already planning for about 1 gallon of wort loss. I might need to plan for more.

Vienna's not going to give you much character in a beer this hop forward at that percentage rate. I'd up that and/or add some munich or even a touch of melanoiden malt.

Vienna's not going to give you much character in a beer this hop forward at that percentage rate. I'd up that and/or add some munich or even a touch of melanoiden malt.

I don't really want much malt coming through. I like a little Vienna in pales and IPAs though.

Back