What do I do with this Jaggery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leghorn

Reaction score
Through the help of a friend, I was able to get 1kg (~2lbs) of Jaggery from India. This is raw, uncrystalized, cane sugar (palm sugar was not in season). Apparently, they use the term interchangably between cane and palm sugar.

Anyway, it has a creamy, butter smell just like I've read. Any ideas what I can use it for??? I just made a trippel, why I've read would be a good style for jaggery. Any other ideas?

IMG_3468.JPG

In Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher, he gives several recipes for using jaggery. I'm a bit jealous. I can't find it in my part of the world.

In Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher, he gives several recipes for using jaggery.

I have that book and see he recommends it for Trippels; but since I just made a trippel, I was looking for another style that would work. Any other ideas for styles?

Just based on the description of Jaggery I always thought it would be a nice addition to an english ale of some type. It could be used in smaller amounts in an English Pale, or in greater amounts in a brown, which is likely where I would start.

I found this recipe here: Black Dog Jaggery Ale

Mosher also suggests using a "small amount amount" in a weizen bock. Other recipes in that book that can include jaggery: Wee Twinkling Winkie SCottish Sparkling Ale and Jaggery Pale Ale. He also lists lots of recipes where you can use unrefined sugars.

Personally, I think it would go well in a pumpkin ale. I think it would add a richness that would complement the pumpkin and a few spices, very well.

My bitter recipe uses piloncillo, which is a mexican type of unrefined cane sugar, as 5% of the grist, from what I've read it's very similar. turns out quite tasty:

80% MO
10% Crystal 55L
5% Piloncillo (Jaggery in here)
5% Corn

Cheers.

Thanks, guys. You've got me thinking. I see a lot of English styles - what about a southern english brown? Something like this:

6lb Mild Malt
3/4lb Jaggery
3/4lb Special B
1/2lb C40
1/2lb Special Roast
6oz Pale Chocolate Malt
6oz Carafa II
1oz EKG (60)
WLP002 English Ale

I hope this would be a good combo. Thoughts?

Thanks, guys. You've got me thinking. I see a lot of English styles - what about a southern english brown? Something like this:

6lb Mild Malt
3/4lb Jaggery
3/4lb Special B
1/2lb C40
1/2lb Special Roast
6oz Pale Chocolate Malt
6oz Carafa II
1oz EKG (60)
WLP002 English Ale

I hope this would be a good combo. Thoughts?

It would probably be great! Is that the BCS recipe? It's similar anyhow. I've made the BCS beer, though I added some oats and 'subbed a couple things. It was very good. I would think Jaggery would be a good addition here, but they are sweetish highly flavorful beers already. You might consider also trying some in a lighter, paler beer to showcase the jaggery flavor better....something similar to an ESB or a northern Brown.

Looks like some serious brown stone...

But seriously:

That looks friggin delicious. I think I might just zonk that recipe for my next brew. Only subbing some first gold for the EKG.

Is there anymore info on this? I ask because i'm using it in an experimental somesuch i'm gonna brew soon. I picked up 1lb of this at my local grocer. I live in a city with the largest concentration of Indian resident in the country and have easy access to really oddball ingredients.

So, what were the results of anyone's brews? I'm curious to see what i'm dealing with. It should make an interesting adjunct.

BTW...if anyone wants some jaggery, it's INCREDIBLY easy for me to get some. It's also very cheap. They have it in small bags, jars (as cubes), or whole cakes of it the size of canteloupes. I didn't see any more than $10. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out. Hint: I like oddball homebrew. ;)

The dubbel that I made with pilonchillo last winter is wonderful. I'd use these unrefined sugars in any recipe where simple sugars are called for. I don't think that I'll use corn sugar again.

The dubbel that I made with pilonchillo last winter is wonderful. I'd use these unrefined sugars in any recipe where simple sugars are called for. I don't think that I'll use corn sugar again.
The smell on the jaggery is a little odd at first, wouldn't you say? Almost like it's TOO unrefined? I tasted and tasted and it finally dawned on me that this sugar would lend a nice creamy sweetness to any brew. I just wonder how much you could use of this to act as a priming agent in place of corn. Either way, it sounds awesome. Glad to know it's working well for people. I might play around with the stuff a bit and see if i get nice results.

I should have been more clear. I don't think that I'll use corn sugar in the main recipe again. It would be perfectly fine to prime with the jaggery or other sugar, but maybe in a darker beer where the "creaminess" would kind of blend in. I would think that it could be subbed pretty much oz. for oz. for priming. I used one lb. pilonchillo in the boil for the dubbel where I would use one lb. of dark candi.

I used one lb. pilonchillo in the boil for the dubbel where I would use one lb. of dark candi.

Brilliant! I am brewing a dubbel in 2 weeks, so I will use the jaggery in place of the dark candi. Thanks for the idea.

Jaggery and other sugars can usually be readily found at international markets such as asian or middle eastern stores. The "Oriental Mart" by me has all types as it has food ingredients from several cultures in one store. You could also possibly check health food stores or bulk food stores.

Each different brand of sugar will affect the color differently. Some palm sugars are dark amber and others can be a light beige. The flavor of each will be different, and some have more sodium than others. I started by buying a couple different kinds, finding which ones I liked best and reserving the rest(generally ones that had more sodium) for baking. For color,I just make a guess as compared to crystal malts. The amber palm sugar I used(Gula Jawa brand) really darkens things up. I'm sure that would be great in a dubbel.

would probably go well in most english ales, especially those on the strong side, which often use treacle. Jaggery would probably be a great substitute for that

I used some in my last IPA, but I'm not sure I can distinguish exactly what it's doing. I dry hopped with centennial, and used some rye malt, so I think the jaggery got overpowered by those flavors.

I would think that a simple wheat beer or Kolsch would be the best application to really taste what it can do in a beer, although the suggestion of using it in the pumpkin beer sounds fantastic too! Yum!!!

One of my favorite beers is Cane and Ebel by Two Brothers in Chicago. It is a Rye Ale which uses Thai Palm sugar or Jaggary. I spoke to one of the brothers at a brewfest and he gave me these recipes. I made the extract version using Jaggary and a buddy made the all grain. Both were good, but of course the AG was better. Might be worth considering.

Pils Munich 3%
Crystal 10 8%
Rye 12%
Crystal Rye 3%
Melinoidan (Aromatic will work) 3%
Black Malt less than 1% for color

First wort hop with Summit and Columbus 40 IBU
30 minutes left with Summit 12 IBU
25 minutes left with Columbus 8.5 IBU
20 minutes left with Simcoe 7 IBU
Dryhop with Simcoe about .3 oz/gallon

Thai Palm Sugar (or Jaggary) added before start of boil. (.15 lbs / gallon)

Mash mid 150's
Boil 75 minutes
target starting gravity 1.072

Extract version:

8# light dry malt extract
2# rye malt
1# crystal 10
1/8# black malt
.5# palm sugar (or Jaggary)

Steep grains in 3 gallons of cold water. Heat water to 170F then remove
grain. Try to squeeze the liquid out of the grain a little, into the
pot. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add extract and
sugar. Return to heat and boil 75 minutes. At the start of the boil
add .2oz Summit hops and .2oz Columbus hops. With 30 minutes left add
.2oz Summit hops. With 25 minutes left add .2oz Columbus hops. With 20
minutes left add .2oz Simcoe hops.

.5oz Simcoe hops for dryhopping.

If you like Rye beers, you will love it.

I've been using jaggery in my beers. That cream/butter/honey quality really comes through in the final product. I made a nice saison with it last fall, and I'm doing a Belgian blonde this coming week. 1 lb in 5 gallons seems about right in these styles. Almost any Indian grocery store carries the stuff, so it's easy to find.

One of my favorite beers is Cane and Ebel by Two Brothers in Chicago. It is a Rye Ale which uses Thai Palm sugar or Jaggary. I spoke to one of the brothers at a brewfest and he gave me these recipes. I made the extract version using Jaggary and a buddy made the all grain. Both were good, but of course the AG was better. Might be worth considering.

Pils Munich 3%
Crystal 10 8%
Rye 12%
Crystal Rye 3%
Melinoidan (Aromatic will work) 3%
Black Malt less than 1% for color

First wort hop with Summit and Columbus 40 IBU
30 minutes left with Summit 12 IBU
25 minutes left with Columbus 8.5 IBU
20 minutes left with Simcoe 7 IBU
Dryhop with Simcoe about .3 oz/gallon

Thai Palm Sugar (or Jaggary) added before start of boil. (.15 lbs / gallon)

Mash mid 150's
Boil 75 minutes
target starting gravity 1.072

Extract version:

8# light dry malt extract
2# rye malt
1# crystal 10
1/8# black malt
.5# palm sugar (or Jaggary)

Steep grains in 3 gallons of cold water. Heat water to 170F then remove
grain. Try to squeeze the liquid out of the grain a little, into the
pot. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add extract and
sugar. Return to heat and boil 75 minutes. At the start of the boil
add .2oz Summit hops and .2oz Columbus hops. With 30 minutes left add
.2oz Summit hops. With 25 minutes left add .2oz Columbus hops. With 20
minutes left add .2oz Simcoe hops.

.5oz Simcoe hops for dryhopping.

If you like Rye beers, you will love it.
What malt was the other 70% of the grain bill? The malts listed only add up to 30%….

Latest posts

Back