Round Two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pendries

Reaction score
My second batch of homebrew is in the secondary. My first batch turned out pretty well I think.But I am not a very good judge I'll drink anything! Especially if I made it. I have a few basic questions. Ive heard of the 1-2-3 rule and I'm trying to follow it (patience is wearing thin).Can secondary fermenter be in a cooler environment say 60 degrees? This would get fermenter out of dining room. How about keg conditioning? Room temperature? Refrigerated?If 60degrees is acceptable I could leave the keg in basement. Out of sight out of mind sorta. Three weeks in the keg without tapping will be nearly impossible. My first batch tasted much better at the end of the keg, but that may have been me warming up to the taste.I should have savored it .

:tank: pendries

I leave my secondary at about 68 degrees. 60 sounds low.

In the Keg it is better to refridgerate, because the CO2 will absorb better in colder conditions.

It is true that, that as the beer ages, i find the better it gets. I have found the the general consense on this site, is to age in the secondary.

I'm sure if I wrong someone will correct me!!

IGOR

pendries said:
Can secondary fermenter be in a cooler environment say 60 degrees?
60F is great for secondary, in fact 50F is even better...it will really help the beer clarify.

Having a basment would rock! i live in FL and i'm limited on my space that i get to use for brewing...

But beer does get better w/ age!!!

hmm.. I am thinking that I should move my secondary to the basement now. It is having trouble clearing and it is pretty chilly down there.

I ferment and store at just above 60 F and my ales are all really good, IMHO. I'm convinced that operating just above the "sleepy" temperature of the yeast is the right way to go for most beers, and bitters in particular.

Things are a bit slower, but the results are good.

O.K. I moved secondary to basement for week # 2. I will keg next weekend . I need to start another batch to keep my mind off this one .

Pendries

Back