Need help with a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjung

Reaction score
I recently made my first Saison, also my first high gravity brew. After two weeks in the primary, and a near explosion only a day or two after brewing, I am still getting activity from my airlock. I checked the gravity today, and I went from an O.G. of 1.130 (+/-) down to around 1.078. The F.G. is supposed to be around 1.016 ! I am REALLY starting to get concerned !!!

I'm not sure if I should pitch another yeast, let it rest a little while longer, or just drop back and punt, although with all the money spent on this batch, that is the ABSOLUTE last option !

Post your recipe. An original gravity. Saisons should have an OG of 1.048 to 1.065 and an FG of 1.002 to 1.012. They are supposed to finish out dry.

Just let it go its course and finish. Was it an extract kit? If so, you did not stir enough and got a concentrated portion of wort to give such a high reading.

Holy chit! 1.130? That there's what we calls an "imperial" saison. I doubt you'll get anywhere near 1.016 after starting that high. I'd be surprised if it finishes below 1.030, to tell you the truth. Every beer I've done with gravity like that (usually imperial stouts or barleywines) ended up between 1.025 and 1.040.

Let that sumbitch warm up, though...assuming you're using saison yeast, it'll do well to finish warm, and that'll also help lower the FG. You may want to rouse the yeast if it starts slowing down, too.

The recipe came from Zymurgy, May/June edition of this year. I followed the Infernal extract recipe. That involves 13.25 lbs. of DME, just to start. I have exchanged e-mails with the author of the article, and according to him, this should have a finished ABV of around 11%.

After my near explosion, I moved it to a cooler (and MUCH safer) location. I am thinking that i will move it back to it's original location and see what happens in a few days.

Latest posts

Back