stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohanbrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm brewing my first attempt at a higher gravity beer, a maibock, and I think my fermentation is stuck. My O.G. turned out significantly higher than Beersmith predicted, 1.078 or 1.080. (the world's first Doppel Maibock?) I pitched a 2-qt starter with Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager at 60 deg F. Within 12 hours I had signs of fermentation, so I turned the beerfridge on and set the temp for 48 deg F.

After 8 days, the high kraeusen had finished, so I turned the temp up to 60 F for a two-day diacetyl rest, and racked to the secondary. I should have taken the gravity before doing any of this, I guess. After racking, I took the gravity and it was only down to 1.034, well high of the one-third rule. The wort/beer was still very cloudy, with lots of active yeast in suspension, so I thought it would keep chugging along.

I put it back in the fridge and turned the temp down to 55 for a day and then to 50. After 24 hours at 50 F, my beer is clear, all the yeast is sedimented on the bottom of the carboy, and there are barely any signs of fermentation from the airlock. I haven't tested it, but I'm sure the gravity isn't much below where it was when I racked, and nowhere near the expected F.G. of 1.020.

Did I shock the yeast into dormancy by cooling it down too quickly in the secondary?

Is there anything I can do to rouse it? Warm it up and agitate to get the yeast back in suspension?

Can I repitch? There's plenty of sugar left apparently, but would the fresh yeast tolerate the high alcohol? I tasted the gravity sample I took when I racked, and the alcohol is already very apparent in the flavor.

Should I just leave it alone and let it lager for 3 weeks like I had planned?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you started @ 1.08 and are currently @ 1.03, the wort/beer is only around 7% right now. I wouldn't consider that a high enough level to harm the yeast.

I'd warm it up and give it a good swirl. You'll have plenty of time while lagering for it to clear up. Sounds like the yeast are just sleepy.

Good Luck,

Bull

By my estimation, you would need more than an 8 L starter and that's with a stir plate. Pitching only 2 L is severely under pitching. I doubt there is enough yeast to finish the job. Personally, I would repitch.

I think it's going again. I turned the temperature up to 60 deg for 24 hours, and this morning there were patches of thin foam on the surface, just like at the very beginning of fermentation. I gave the carboy a couple of good swirls to rouse the yeast off the bottom, and voila, there was instantly an inch of foam and the airlock started bubbling away. I will try turning the temperature down more slowly this time, maybe 3 degrees a day, until I get to 45. When signs of fermentation cease again, I'll take the gravity. If it's at my target 1.020, then I'll crank the temp down to 33 for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for your help.

No such luck. It never really took off again. So I brought it up from the basement fridge last night, and let it overnight in the kitchen at around 70 deg F, and pitched more yeast this morning. I used WLP838, Southern German Lager, but 12 hours later, no action. I'm thinking I just need to stick it back in the fridge at 50 deg F and wait three weeks to bottle. It is what it is.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

Back