Brewing This English Mild this Weekend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BogusOwnz

Reaction score
Any feedback before I pull the trigger?

6 Gallon Batch
60 Minute Boil
OG 1.035
FG 1.009
ABV 3.5%
IBU 20
SRM 16.5
EFF 70%

6.5lb Maris Otter
.5lb Crystal 60
.5lb Flaked Oats
.25lb Brown Malt
3oz Special B
3oz Pale Chocolate
2oz Black Patent

I will mash at 154

1oz Kent(5.8%) @45mins
.2oz Fuggles(4%) @45mins

Yeast is going to be Wyeast 1945 that Neobrittania yeast from northern brewer to try it out.

Part of me thinks I got carried away with the recipe but it seems to be working in my head.

Reasonable for a Dark Mild. I'd be tempted to move the Fuggles to 15 minutes, but nothing wrong with your approach.

Did you end up brewing this according to your recipe, or did you make any changes? Just curious. If you did brew it, how did it turn out?

I did brew it and loved it. I've had come commercial milds and believe this recipe stands up. When I brew this again I'll be ditching the oats and black patent and going from pale chocolate to Simpsons English dark chocolate. I might even bring up the brown malt a bit.

Thanks for the update. So you liked the 1945 then, or would you maybe try a different strain of yeast?

Sorry about that I completely forgot I used that yeast in this beer. To be honest I couldn't tell the difference between 1945 and 1028. I would stick with 1028 just because 1945 has such a strict and small temperature range which I frankly can't be bothered with. I'd say if your curious give it a shot but I don't see the benefit.

Back