English Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveross43

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am wanting to do an English Strong Ale with a blend of two English yeasts. Please give me some feedback on what you think!

Cheers Steve

13lb Maris Otter
2Lb Carmel 60
8 oz Special B
8 oz Chocolate
4.0 Aromatic

Styrian Goldings 1oz. 60min
E. Kent 1oz. 30min
Fuggle 1 oz 15

Blending Ringwood and Yorkshire yeasts.

You have around 15% crystal malt in the recipe, which is borderline pushing it. At that amount, you may run into attenuation issues considering the high OG, lots of unfermentable sugars, and the naturally sweetish yeast choices. If I were brewing this, I'd keep the crystal malts to no more than 10%, although if you use a good amount of simple sugar (like invert no 1) you can keep the crystal at that amount.. its what UK commercial breweries often do.

Other than reducing the crystal, I'd switch the styrian's and fuggles, although it really won't make a huge difference. Also, both those yeasts require lots of oxygen, so be sure to aerate properly.

Imo chocolate malt should not be in a old ale at least not 8oz. It will need up more like a brown ale.

Also I agree there is not much crystal. It will be too sweet. Lower the overal %. Special b won't give you an English character, swap it for 120 caramel and lower it to 4oz.

You also need black treacle. It's not an English old ale without it.

Latest posts

Back