Dry hop to counter extreme grapfruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maui808

Reaction score
I brewed a IIPA with all Simcoe. Way too much grapefruit.. tastes like tart grapefruit juice, not an exaggeration.

I was going to dry hop w/ more Simcoe, but I can't handle any more grapefruit.

What hop would be a good dry hop to counter or complement the grapefruit? Maybe something sweet and fruity to counter tartness.

I had the same problem, thought it was [EDIT: infected, not sour] until I had another homebrewer tell me "Yep, that's just Simcoe".

I made another batch but for my dry-hop I'm going to use Amarillo (2oz) as recommended by the same homebrewer. It's still in primary and it'll be there for a few more weeks before I dry hop it so can't get any feedback yet. :mug:

You might try some Liberty. I've found it to be a bit fruity. Then there's Pacific Gem. I've never dry hopped with it, but as a 20 min. addition it gives a pretty good berry note.

I personally would stay away from the woodsy/earthy hops (Fuggle, Glacier). I made a fresh hop IPA with Cascade and Glacier last year (both added at 10 & 0 min. and dry hopped). The two flavors just seemed to fight one another the whole time

How about not dry hopping at all or waiting? The grapefruit will take 6-8 weeks to mellow. Then you can judge the need for dry hopping and what to use. I did a combination of Perle, Amarillo and Cascades for flavor/aroma/dry hopping in an IPA a couple years ago and it was pure grapefruit for weeks. Now, I dry hop a week before putting beers online.

You might try some Liberty. I've found it to be a bit fruity. Then there's Pacific Gem. I've never dry hopped with it, but as a 20 min. addition it gives a pretty good berry note.

I personally would stay away from the woodsy/earthy hops (Fuggle, Glacier). I made a fresh hop IPA with Cascade and Glacier last year (both added at 10 & 0 min. and dry hopped). The two flavors just seemed to fight one another the whole time

Pacific Gem sounds interesting, that ones new to me. Just read a little about it, it gives a blackberry flavor, wow. Wish I could find a place to order it from, that might be perfect for this beer. I tried all my usual online stores, none have it.

Was also thinking of Cascade, which I have or styrian goldings which I have. I think Northern Brewer which I also have is out of the question due to woodsy/earthy.

How about not dry hopping at all or waiting? The grapefruit will take 6-8 weeks to mellow. Then you can judge the need for dry hopping and what to use. I did a combination of Perle, Amarillo and Cascades for flavor/aroma/dry hopping in an IPA a couple years ago and it was pure grapefruit for weeks. Now, I dry hop a week before putting beers online.

Good to know it will mellow over time. But I really suck at waiting, plus I want to get some of this in my brother in law's hands before he heads off to Afghanistan.

Maybe I'll try Pacific Gem if I can find it. And also Styrian Goldings, which I already have and was reading more about, supposedly 'candy-like' and floral. That might go well.

Seven Bridges Cooperative has Pacific Gem (I just received some from them in a hops order). They are organic, from New Zealand, and a high alpha acid hop. www.breworganic.com

Pacific Gem sounds interesting, that ones new to me. Just read a little about it, it gives a blackberry flavor, wow. Wish I could find a place to order it from, that might be perfect for this beer. I tried all my usual online stores, none have it.

Was also thinking of Cascade, which I have or styrian goldings which I have. I think Northern Brewer which I also have is out of the question due to woodsy/earthy.

Good to know it will mellow over time. But I really suck at waiting, plus I want to get some of this in my brother in law's hands before he heads off to Afghanistan.

Maybe I'll try Pacific Gem if I can find it. And also Styrian Goldings, which I already have and was reading more about, supposedly 'candy-like' and floral. That might go well.

Just age it for a while. I made an IPA like that once and let it mellow for a couple of months and it turned out fantastic. If you want IPA's to drink quickly, try bittering with Mangnum then finishing up with Cascade / Centennial. I think they tend to mellow rather quickly, but you can go overboard with anything.

Amazing, totally different with time. Grapefruit is almost gone! Dry hopped w/ what I had/could find, so Cascade, Simcoe and Styrian Goldings (very sweet and floral).

Something went wrong w/ the keg a couple weeks in and it leaked out all but 1gal before I noticed. Sucks, but now I have an excuse to make another beer.

Back