1500w water heaters for liquor tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenbasterd

Reaction score
does anybody have any experience using a 120v 1500w hot water heater for heating up a hot liquor tank to say 170f?
im thinking of using a SS 32L stock pot installing a ball valve and a 1500w water heater. the heater wouldn't need to actually heat the water as i could do that on a flame and just add it and maintain temp with the heater. But it would be a bonus if it could heat that much water in say 30mins ?

also tell me if im way out in left field here but the plan is to hook the heater up to a temp controller using the one from china, i think its called the dlc-1000? going to try and replace censor with a meat thermo and hopefully calibrate it to the new censor. i think they are only good up to 10 amp? and i think a 1500w heater can max out at 12.5a on a 120v circuit, but i don't mind pushing the limits of a 25$ device..

any advice would be appreciated before i go wasting my money learning i screwed up.

does anybody have any experience using a 120v 1500w hot water heater for heating up a hot liquor tank to say 170f?
im thinking of using a SS 32L stock pot installing a ball valve and a 1500w water heater. the heater wouldn't need to actually heat the water as i could do that on a flame and just add it and maintain temp with the heater. But it would be a bonus if it could heat that much water in say 30mins ?

also tell me if im way out in left field here but the plan is to hook the heater up to a temp controller using the one from china, i think its called the dlc-1000? going to try and replace censor with a meat thermo and hopefully calibrate it to the new censor. i think they are only good up to 10 amp? and i think a 1500w heater can max out at 12.5a on a 120v circuit, but i don't mind pushing the limits of a 25$ device..

any advice would be appreciated before i go wasting my money learning i screwed up.

I did it! It took about 90 minutes to go from 60 degrees to 170, though, with 8 gallons in the HLT. I used it for a couple of years, and just started my water hours before I actually wanted to brew.

I have no idea about the temp controller, though.

Cool i think i will build the HLT. as far as the temp controller i know allot of people around here use it for fridges. its the STC-1000 from china. it has a range from -50c - 99c so its capable. one thing i know about thermos is some of the sensors use diff resistance but i'm willing to be the guinea pig on this.. already have the unit and a meat thermo mine as well try..
somebody with some electrical knowledge might know something i don't. i'm not that clever somebody around here must have though of this lol

I used a 1500 watt element in my 20 quart HLT, it took about 40-45 minutes to go from 65 to 170 with the pot completely full (I was doing multiple heats/dumps to brew).

So it can be used, but it will take you a little while.

Good luck with trying the temp controller, but I would imagine if it is rated at 10 amps, its going to have a 10 amp fuse at the very least and will pop when it sees 12.5 or 13.6 (if you use 1500/110) amps.

I used a 1500 watt element in my 20 quart HLT, it took about 40-45 minutes to go from 65 to 170 with the pot completely full (I was doing multiple heats/dumps to brew).

So it can be used, but it will take you a little while.

Good luck with trying the temp controller, but I would imagine if it is rated at 10 amps, its going to have a 10 amp fuse at the very least and will pop when it sees 12.5 or 13.6 (if you use 1500/110) amps.

yea that's a good point. but i highly doubt its going to pull that much. i could go 220v, i'd have to move my brew station and that sux.

well ill play this one smart and hook up the element to my killawatt meter and watch what it peaks out at heating a full pot of water. if its over 10a ill trash that idea.. just checked ebay and they actually sell a water version of this kit with a screw in fitting still 10a tho.. if my meat thermo doesn't register the right temp and my element doesn't pull over 10a i see no reason i cant get this going

Back