Brewing with agave nectar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey184

Reaction score
I am using 10lbs LME and 2 pounds of agave nectar in my west coast IPA. Has anyone used agave nectar before? How was the finished product?

That amount of agave is kind of pricy to use on beer. It also doesn't have much character at all unless it's raw. Like honey, heat destroys the delicacies of the product. Maybe you can search in the Mead forum for more specifics/professional advice. I'm sure a few people over there have experimented with Agave nectar. I would think high krausen or below 100F would be the way to add it.

Ya it was kind of pricy and I see what you are saying about the possible lack of flavor. I already have the beer in primary fermentation but I added the agave nectar at flame out after the boil. I will post what kind of anything it adds to the beer after I taste it. Thanks for the info.

I have done it. 2 lbs was a little much and I could definitely taste it. It got better with time but was not great at first, of course that could have been my batch.

It's like honey in the sense that people think adding honey will make the beer taste a bit sweeter or have honey-like flavors. It doesn't. Half of the impact is the thinning out of the malt flavor just like when you add corn sugar. The other half of the impact is the flavor/aroma. Depending on how you do it, keeping aroma factors from honey or agave is difficult to impossible (just my experience) so you are down to a thinner taste and a residual flavor impact. And the agave I did wasn't super. It was OK. So good luck, maybe yours will be much better and I hope delicious.

I use it in my Agave Wheat. At flame out, you get a hint of the flavor. I'm going to try adding it after a week of primary next - should maintain flavor and aroma.

Latest posts

Back