KS noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerfactory

Reaction score
I've never brewed before and am looking for some thoughts/opinions on what I should brew for my 1st batch. I like everything that I've ever tried (w/ the exception of most fruit flavored and lambics). Sam Adams made a triple boch in '94that I despised...

A kit from austinhomebrew is the sum total of my equipment so far; other than a massive stainless steel pot, and some bottles (most are the 16oz bud light aluminum bottles). have a turkey fryer too, but I'll be keeping it on the stovetop the 1st few tries.

I don't intend to brew for another 2 or 3 weeks. I've read most of howtobrew.com and have been lurking here (read most of the wiki and FAQ's) and reading for a couple of weeks. Will be continuing to casually research before I try my hand.

my basement stays around 60 degrees F this time of year. set a glass of water on the floor for two days and took a reading.

extract kits that I'm considering ordering are:
AHS Bavarian Dunkelweizen (mini-mash option) or John Bull Premium India Pale Ale

mainly, I'd like to try something that a beginner would be more likely to have success with.

thanks in advance for any replies/advice/thoughts

Speaking as a beginner, I'd suggest starting out with an extract with grains brew, whether from a kit or a roll your own recipe. As to what to brew, just choose what you like. My first attempt (three or four years ago) was a Northern England Brown Ale because I like New Castle. It turned out great. Made another of the same which was also very good; I then tried to move (too quickly, I think) to all grain and it was a disaster. I didn't brew again until just recently (another extract with grain). I had been thinking about giving it another go and was in a homebrew store while traveling and picked up a True Brew Kit; bottled this past weekend. I think it will be good as it seems tasty right now. I prefer designing my own recipes, though, and will be placing an order this week for the ingredients for the next batch.

But my suggestion is to keep it simple at first, and brewing an extract with grains on the stove without trying for a full wort boil is simple and easy.

Other, more experienced folks will chime in I'm sure.

Good luck and have fun.

Rick

A stout or porter is great for covering up potential beginner flaws. Though with the temperature of your basement the most common flaw (fermenting too hot) shouldn't be a problem for you.

Good luck on the first brew and welcome to HBT! :mug:

Hi and welcome to HBT.

Sounds like you are on the right track and I'm sue you will be making great beers in no time. What helped me, and still does, is having my instruction in front of me with all the steps I will do. Also try and limit distractions, for some reason just looking at a football game will cause wort to boil over.

Keep us posted on how it turns out.

What part of KS are you from?

east central KS is my stomping grounds. am currently living in Chase County. appreciate the advice guys!

Go through the recipe Database here and fine something that catches your eye. or you can go to your LHBS and ask for help creating your own! Either way have fun

my brother-in-law lives in McPherson. they got ice pretty bad and then Sat night 12 inches of snow on top of it...mostly melted today though.

Another Jayhawker.

I swear I saw a homebrew store in Wichita last time I was up that way. Can't seem to find it online though. I think a lhbs is a good thing to have even if you have to drive an hour or two.

Topeka has a home brewing shop... http://www.ale-n-vino.com/index.html

they seemed like nice guys and whatnot...I'm in graduate school, married, working, and running a side business. so if I can get away w/ ordering online, it's definitely my preference.

I do get down to Wichita on business a few times monthly. I'll have to check out the yellow pages.

...so I haven't actually brewed yet. But, I did order a fat tire clone & a wheat beer canned kit from AHBS.

I've been running my mouth about brewing and the process in general to my buddies. I've come up w/ a regulator, a kegorator (single tower, will hold two cornys), a CO2 bottle, and a pepsi corny. Paid $30 for the keg.

beerfactory said:
...so I haven't actually brewed yet. But, I did order a fat tire clone & a wheat beer canned kit from AHBS.

You'll be OK.

The main thing for better and better beer, I think - my personal mission- is to get you guys steeping your "half pound of 40L Crystal malt" as close to 155°F as possible from day 1 so you can jump to partial mash and all grain recipes sooner rather than later.

You got a thermometer? No? OK. Heat your steep water until you see bubbles on the floor of your pot, heat the water for another 60 seconds. Turn off the heat. Add you steeping grains to the water. Cover the pot, walk away, come back 20-45 minutes later. Relax, don't worry.

HTH,
Poindexter

^^related to most of Dickinson County.

beerfactory said:
other than a massive stainless steel pot, and some bottles (most are the 16oz bud light aluminum bottles). have a turkey fryer too, but I'll be keeping it on the stovetop the 1st few tries.

If you're planning on doing full boils (6 gallons or so) in your massive pot, I'd be very hesitant to try it on your stove top. Most stoves will not bring that much liquid to a rolling boil, at least in any reasonable amount of time, and only then if you have natural gas.

I'd suggest test boiling a batch of water to see how well your stove works and if you can't do the full batch, you'll have to consider a partial boil, multiple pots or the turkey frier burner. If you go with the partial boil, keep in mind that your hops utilization will be less in the more concentrated wort. The higher gravity doesn't extract the alpha acids as well so you need to use a bit more.

thanks for the tips guys, very much appreciated.

I checked out my stove & think that I'll have to go w/ a 3 gallon boil. 1st will boil 2.5 gallons, cool and add to fermenter bucket. When I add the wort, I should come out close to 5 gallons. If not, I'll have some pre-boiled & cooled water ready to add.

Poindexter said:
You'll be OK.

steeping your "half pound of 40L Crystal malt" as close to 155°F as possible

Heat your steep water until you see bubbles on the floor of your pot, heat the water for another 60 seconds. Turn off the heat. Add you steeping grains to the water. Cover the pot, walk away, come back 20-45 minutes later.

that sounds pretty doable. steeping would come before adding the extract, correct? do the steeping, then bring to a boil, back off the boil, add the extract and follow the hopping instructions.

The homebrew place in Wichita is named: What's Brewin and is located at:

720 W. Douglas Ave. 67203
316-263-1342

What's Brewin' - Home

I'm from Wichita too and I've been to this store several times.....I hate bashing places, so I will just say this: don't make a special trip ;)

Very nice, helpful people, but the store is not exactly well stocked, and it's a little.....ummmmm......scary.

True, not worth a special trip.
When were you there last? Their original location on the south side of the street was reminiscent of a carpeted cave, but the new location on the north side is much nicer.

I am in Wichita as well, and only go to Whats Brewin if I need supplies immediately, other than that I order online. The husband is a nice guy and sat and talked to me while I was using there Corona mill one time, but it is not very well stocked and I never feel comfortable when the wife (owner) is around.

True, not worth a special trip.
When were you there last? Their original location on the south side of the street was reminiscent of a carpeted cave, but the new location on the north side is much nicer.

I was there a week ago.....if the current location is much nicer, I would be terrified to see the old location! They are really nice helpful people though.

Popped in there today to grab some Root Beer Extract.

It got smaller. When I was in there last time, they had just moved in to the new place and had everything laid out. Still, I will buy from them as much as possible because I want to still have that option around.

Back