Grade 8 washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalpysko

Reaction score
I have a washer that is a grade 8 metal and I was wondering would that do anything to my wort when boiling

Grade 8 just refers to the strength (it's relatively high-strength, in fact). But I can't say for sure what the metal is. It may be just steel, it may be zinc-plated, etc. Probably best to just get an SS washer if you can.

Grade 8 just refers to the strength (it's relatively high-strength, in fact). But I can't say for sure what the metal is. It may be just steel, it may be zinc-plated, etc. Probably best to just get an SS washer if you can.

If it's grade 8, it is steel, and could have any of a number of coatings.

bja said:
If it's grade 8, it is steel, and could have any of a number of coatings.

Sorry, my wording was vague. I meant I couldn't say what the surface metal was.

Grade 8 is a steel washer with strength. It is not stainless steel so you do not want to use it in your beer, wort or anything else as it will rust. In brewing you only want to use stainless steel components unless it is an aluminum kettle which is fine.

What about cast copper? And where would I find a 1in diameter stainless washer. Grade 8 was the only thing I could finding trying to use a big ball valve on my boil kettle if I can find anything that work in so screwed I have a 1 in hole drilled through a converted keg

metalpysko said:
What about cast copper? And where would I find a 1in diameter stainless washer. Grade 8 was the only thing I could finding trying to use a big ball valve on my boil kettle if I can find anything that work in so screwed I have a 1 in hole drilled through a converted keg

A plumbing supply shop should have stainless washers that large

What about the cast copper

If copper was bad for the brew, it wouldn't find much use in immersion chillers. :) Unless there's some strange additive introduced during the casting process, but I can't see why there would be.

Back