San Francisco Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NigeltheBold

Reaction score
I'd like to turn my cream ale into a lager, but I don't have ideal lagering equipment. I only have a fridge that stays between 30 and 40 degrees. I also don't want to wait months for it to lager (I know, I'm impatient).

I was thinking about using the White Labs San Francisco lager yeast to get "lager-like" characteristics in the beer. But I don't know how long it will take in total. I was thinking about two weeks in fermentation at about 60 degrees (in my basement), but I wasn't sure if I should cold-condition it in the fridge (between 30 and 40 degrees). Should I cold condition to make it a more "lager-like" beer, and how long should I leave it in the fridge at this temperature?

That didn't answer my question, but thanks for responding I guess.

Can someone suggest a timeline for fermenting/cold conditioning with this yeast strain?

I just used this yeast in a Cali common and a raspberry jalapeño hybrid. So far I like the characteristics of this yeast and the crisp finish it produces. I fermented at an avg of 68 degrees for two weeks and now have it at 60 for another two. I also read on the white labs site that the optimal temp for this yeast is 65 ( I think) . So your plan seems to be in accordance. I'm not planning on cold crashing, in just treating this yeast as an ale that gives lager characteristics. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back