Rousing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpilot

Reaction score
Have you ever noticed in your carboy, that your yeast propogates, and forms a thick mass at the bottom of the fermenter (Nottingham) and it begins to circulate off the bottom as fermentation begins? BUT, even during the violent stages of primary fermentation there is still plenty of yeast laying in the bottom, not (swimming) in the currents? Anyone ever simply spun the carboy 2-3 times to suspend all of the yeast that is laying in the bottom, in the first 12 hours or so? I did this week, it seemed like the ferment picked up alot of steam after doing so, anyone ever done this when they DID NOT have a stuck fermentation?
When this batch is done, I am going to try my hand at washing the yeast, not that Nottingham is expensive, but it seems like fun, and I also want to experiment with pitching a huge load of yeast into my next batch.

Brewpilot

Primary: Fat Tire Clone (AHBS)

I've brewed three batches with nottingham. The first one i just pitched the dry yeast right on top of the primary and had a slow start, but good fermentation. The next one i made had some barely and a 750 gram of liquid honey jar added in the wort. I thought that the lid was going to blow right off. And the next batch was intense too. But I also made starters for the last two there as well. And after doing the attenuation math...Every one of the batches was 83-84%...Good stuff mechanically wise. But I found a taste not really desireable...

Well, I am aware that there will be trub and hops junk in the bottom, but that same stuff gets mixed up, slightly, when moving the carboy for transfer to the secondary anyway. Didnt really think it would be, and still dont think it will be, an issue.
I have always had 75-76% attenuation with Nottingham, used it in many ales with very clean and consistent results... usually a 7 day primary ferment at about 63F.

Brewpilot

Back