Crazy Hopsdirect Sale Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered late. Around 4 EST.

Thanks. That's interesting, I ordered around 1:00 and still haven't heard anything. I figured they were just running through the orders in the order they were placed. I have a confirmation anyway, so I guess I'll just sit tight.

Thanks. That's interesting, I ordered around 1:00 and still haven't heard anything. I figured they were just running through the orders in the order they were placed. I have a confirmation anyway, so I guess I'll just sit tight.

Same here -- I'd give them a few more days to get sorted.

I put in my order a little after 8am right when the sale started. Hops on my doorstep the next morning. :rockin:

I wasn't expecting them to get here in about 24 hours, and yes, that was with standard shipping. It does help to live 3.5 hours away from the farm.

Not sure if anyone addressed this in the thread and I'm not going back to look. This sale was a demonstration of proper pricing of 1lb quantities. The prices some of these other so called bulk hop retailers selling to homebrewers are raping everyone. I don't know if they have many middle men before you pay the $35/lb price for something like citra, but if they don't it's called gouging. Hopsdirect is the only place I'll spend my money on 1lb quantities of hops.

smokinghole said:
Not sure if anyone addressed this in the thread and I'm not going back to look. This sale was a demonstration of proper pricing of 1lb quantities. The prices some of these other so called bulk hop retailers selling to homebrewers are raping everyone. I don't know if they have many middle men before you pay the $35/lb price for something like citra, but if they don't it's called gouging. Hopsdirect is the only place I'll spend my money on 1lb quantities of hops.

There's quite a few other places that have low prices on bulk hops:
Bcrosbyhops.com
Hopsshack.com
Northwesthops.com

I don't agree that selling Citra in today's market for $35/lb is price gouging. If the retailer is buying lbs of Citra for $15 they are only making 57% margin. Then they have to pay employees, rent, utilities, and other overhead costs. That doesn't leave a lot of room for profit. How is selling 1 lb of Citra for $35 price gouging, but selling it for $2/oz is just fine?

You have to understand that buying from Hopsdirect is buying wholesale. Buying from someone selling for $35/lb is retail. Completely different things.

I agree with your statement about the overhead costs and so forth. However if it's a whole sale style hops retailer that sells to homebrewers $35/lb is gouging depending on the layers of middlemen taking their cut. I might as well buy it where I can buy grain at $2/oz as you mentioned because it's the same damn price. One of the site vendors that completely appear to be a whole sale hops distributor was recently selling citra at $35lb as a "sale". Maybe I'm wrong making the assumption of them being a wholesale place but based on their site I assume that to be the case. I'm all for free market and supply/demand principles but at that commanded price of $35/lb my demand is nil. I'm rather surprised people thought of it as a "sale", it was almost arrogant to me like it was a privilege being allowed to purchase the hops. I just hope everyone brushed their teeth afterwards...

I agree with you that if they are a wholesaler $35/lb is gouging. I don't think many of the vendors on this site are wholesalers though. They all probably buy from Hop Union or one of the other big wholesalers. I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. I agree that there is no way I'm paying $35/lb for hops. At those prices I'll find a substitute or brew a different beer.

That brings up an interesting point actually. Hopunion that is. Since Citra is proprietary as a hop, I bet Hopsdirect buys it to resell. Unless they've paid for the licensing to grow, but when I bought from Hopsdirect it didn't say grown at Peterbaugh Farms on the description. So I don't know who grows the Citra and who ultimately manages the distribution of the crop. I have not dug that deep to find out.

neko said:
I put in my order a little after 8am right when the sale started. Hops on my doorstep the next morning. :rockin:

I wasn't expecting them to get here in about 24 hours, and yes, that was with standard shipping. It does help to live 3.5 hours away from the farm.

Mine are here too, sounds like I live just about as close as you, though.

That hops shack place has Columbus for $6.99 a pound at French Strisselspalt for $1.29 an ounce.

Just FYI.

Just got an e-mail to verify shipping charges:

7# of hops @ $67.10 + $14.51 shipping to Texas = $81.61

Damn good sale, damn good shipping price -- now to brew like a madman!

Prost to HopsDirect!

Also, $35/# retail for the boutique hops is far from gouging.....

One of the site vendors that completely appear to be a whole sale hops distributor was recently selling citra at $35lb as a "sale". Maybe I'm wrong making the assumption of them being a wholesale place but based on their site I assume that to be the case. I'm all for free market and supply/demand principles but at that commanded price of $35/lb my demand is nil.

Im with you, I would never pay $35 per lb for ANY hop (in fact I bought citra online this winter for $17/lb), but the hops still sell out, and quickly! As long as that still happens, they will sell them at that price (or higher).

The informed consumer can shop around and still find citra for less than that (I see $21.99 as one example, and not on 'sale'), so I label everyone who pays this price ‘uninformed’ at best and possibly ‘dumb’ at worst.

What a kick in the nuts. I ordered 5 lbs from HD on 4.12.12. lol. Oh well still 80 cents an ounce at full price was still a deal on most hops.

on a whim, i contacted HD and told them that if they happened to find an extra pound of amarillo, i'd be most happy if they added it to my order.

they found one :ban:

credit card charged. 5 pounds of hops coming my way. taste buds, it was nice knowing you.

I might as well buy it where I can buy grain at $2/oz as you mentioned because it's the same damn price.

Wow, I hope you aren't paying $2 for one ounce of grains. I'm guessing you mean hops here. :D

What a kick in the nuts. I ordered 5 lbs from HD on 4.12.12. lol. Oh well still 80 cents an ounce at full price was still a deal on most hops.

It might not have been a very hard kick in the nuts because it depends on what varieties you ordered. There were some hops like cascade that were not part of the sale, but you could still order it at the regular price.

sweetcell said:
on a whim, i contacted HD and told them that if they happened to find an extra pound of amarillo, i'd be most happy to buy it.

they found one :ban:

credit card charged, 5 pounds of hops coming my way. taste buds, it was nice knowing you.

Hmm. I put that in a note on my order, I wonder if they found one for me too?

just want to say that hopsdirect has great customer service!

got my shipping quote today for 1lb of amarillo, and it was appx 12$. i asked if i could add more to make it worth the 12$ to ship they said sure, and anything up to 5lb would be the same price, so i added 4 pounds of other hops!

They even said they would give me yard sale prices since i had my original order during the sale! awesome!

Mine came today. As usual they all weighed 1lb 2oz or more. I could make a killin' IPA from just the extra hops they throw your way.

Gotta love it.

Ok so I love hops direct but it makes me question why the he'll does everyone else charge so much for hops? I can get several lbs of hops for what a pound or less would cost at most places an they will work out reasonable shipping for you. What's so hard about that!?

As I understand it, HopsDirect prices are pretty much wholesale prices to the public... so I think the issue is that someone has to pay HopsDirect prices + shipping, then they have to break down the shipments into smaller increments and repackage. After that, your LHBS will have to buy them from that company in the 2 oz bags that we typically see on the shelves + shipping from them. After both the repackaging/distributing company and your LHBS mark it up for profit, you get the prices you see.

Yepp I broke my lb bags down last night…. Amarillo pellets weighed 20 oz, Nugget pellets weighed 18.5 oz, and Sterling leaf weighed 18 oz.

That puts me at an average of $0.79 per oz after shipping – ($44.84 / (56.5 oz))

Yepp I broke my lb bags down last night…. Amarillo pellets weighed 20 oz, Nugget pellets weighed 18.5 oz, and Sterling leaf weighed 18 oz.

That puts me at an average of $0.79 per oz after shipping – ($44.84 / (56.5 oz))

AWESOME! Sadly my purchases from a few other vendors have always been 0.5 -1.0 oz short. Nothing pisses me off more than paying for a # @ full price and getting less.

My order was placed at 9:30 in the morning on the day of the yard sale and I received my shipping notice just now, April 19th, it's shipping out today.

No ETA as I'm in Canada, and $30 for shipping. Ouch. Oh well, still a substantial savings from buying per ounce. $67 Canadian for 3lbs to my door, when typically I spend $2.50 per ounce and I need to drive a ways to get it.

Brewing has made me so jealous of shipping rates in the US...

considering the price of amarillo being what it is: :rockin:

i'm convinced: why would you deal with anyone else? HD is awesome.

between this purchase, and the hops i grow this summer, i believe that i'm set for the next year.

Agreed x1000. My first place I look for hops is always Hopdirect from now on. Farmhouse brewing supply has some good deals too sometimes.

just got confirmation that my order is going out today (or at worse tomorrow). considering how busy they must be, and that i had them find some sold-out amarillo to add to my order, i'm quite pleased with the turnaround.

also had a rather amusing e-mail exchange with one of their staff - great and entertaining customer service! :mug:

also had a rather amusing e-mail exchange with one of their staff - great and entertaining customer service! :mug:

Yea their staff is on point -- they added 2#'s for me after the initial order -- and e-mail responses were unreasonably fast.

My order was placed at 9:30 in the morning on the day of the yard sale and I received my shipping notice just now, April 19th, it's shipping out today.

No ETA as I'm in Canada, and $30 for shipping. Ouch. Oh well, still a substantial savings from buying per ounce. $67 Canadian for 3lbs to my door, when typically I spend $2.50 per ounce and I need to drive a ways to get it.

Brewing has made me so jealous of shipping rates in the US...

Uh-oh...not looking forward to the shipping quote for my 11 pounds to Canada...

Back