Crazy Hopsdirect Sale Today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. It's not shipped unless you have a tracking number or it's on your doorstep. You know what they say about making assumptions....

I've ordered 4-5 times from them & several times the tracking showed "Trout, OR" until the the day it showed up at my house. Strange, but never more than 5 days after tracking no, and I live in VA.

I weighed my new orders today--1# 3.3oz of Amarillo, 1# 2.8oz of Glacier. Gotta luv em! :)

On a related note, anyone use Yakimavalleyhops.com? Their prices are SICK... So much so that I hesitate to order without references. (no, I am not in any way affiliated... Just a hophead trying to save a buck or ten!)

Also, this morning it would have been 7 business days from your order, April 13th was a Friday. It clearly says ‘business days’ on their webpage.

So if they shipped yesterday they are still within the window.

You cant really bash HD for this, they are a relatively small operation and were absolutely slammed for this sale. If you want to take your business elsewhere, thats just more hops that all us happy customers can buy!

I wasn't complaining about their shipping times. I was responding to someone else that was.

From their website:

We pelletize our own hops here on the farm, in our "California Pellet Mill" after harvest. We process T-90 hop pellets and package into (4.2m) multi-layered, high barrier mylar bags with a nitrogen flush. We are in the process of moving from a tight, hard vacuum to the newer industry standard "soft packs".

My guess is the soft bags are flushed with nitro.

I'm not seeing this ANYWHERE on their site...not in the FAQ, nowhere. At least nothing about the nitrogen flush stuff.

Weird!

Is it better to keep hops in the fridge or the freezer?

Freezer

I wasn't complaining about their shipping times. I was responding to someone else that was.

And I wasnt aiming my comment to you, simply adding to your response to him. Sorry for the confusion with the quote. Turns out he was emailed and they said it would be shipped last week and wasnt, so I would be a lil teed off too.

Turns out he was emailed and they said it would be shipped last week and wasnt, so I would be a lil teed off too.
With the price, quality and quantity that I get from Hops Direct, I'd cut them a little slack on not hitting a ship date during a big sale event. Bringing it up on a public forum after one bad experience is not something I'd do.

But that's just me. :D

If you guys are looking for cheaper hops, it won't be as good as this sale but Brewbrothers.biz has great prices and has been the most amazing home brew store I have been to yet. So they do what I consider cheap hop price plus 10% off when buying by the pound(no I am not apart of them) but thought would pass it around as its become my choice to purchase all ingredients from now. Also if your in the Portland,OR area, drop by, you might be able to have your brew sampled there.

Thanks for the link Vagabond -- good malt and hop prices!

Hop shipment shows out for delivery today :D

i still haven't been contacted regarding shipment nor payment. Guess i'm gonna have to buy really expensive hops elsewhere in my country

On a related note, anyone use Yakimavalleyhops.com? Their prices are SICK... So much so that I hesitate to order without references. (no, I am not in any way affiliated... Just a hophead trying to save a buck or ten!)
wow, those are indeed some great prices. cheap shipping too. final prices are on par with the HD yard sale. if i were looking for more hops i'd give this guy a spin.

looks like he's just starting up this business. he's got no ratings on ebay, but his old personal account is positive: http://www.ebay.com/sch/niski105/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_from&_ipg.

based on images of non-retail packaging he's using (i.e. the same food-saver bags that i use at home), i'm guessing that this guy buys in bulk and repackages into 1-lb bags. he could also potentially be an actual grower who is selling directly, but you'd think he would have mentioned that somewhere.

if anyone orders from him, please let us know how it turns out. between my HD order and the hops i'm growing this year, it might be a while before i need to order again.

yeah, i did today before posting my update.

my mistake probably lies in not querying them before hand about shipping to mexico.

Aaah, that makes a little sense. I don't expect they would like something humulus coming in their borders as easily as out. They probably have a tariff or something too...:fro:

sweetcell said:
wow, those are indeed some great prices. cheap shipping too. final prices are on par with the HD yard sale. if i were looking for more hops i'd give this guy a spin.

looks like he's just starting up this business. he's got no ratings on ebay, but his old personal account is positive: http://www.ebay.com/sch/niski105/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_from&_ipg.

based on images of non-retail packaging he's using (i.e. the same food-saver bags that i use at home), i'm guessing that this guy buys in bulk and repackages into 1-lb bags. he could also potentially be an actual grower who is selling directly, but you'd think he would have mentioned that somewhere.

if anyone orders from him, please let us know how it turns out. between my HD order and the hops i'm growing this year, it might be a while before i need to order again.

I just ordered a few pounds from him a couple weeks ago. Got my order within a week ( I'm in FL) and the amounts were right on the money. He told me he is a grower getting in to the homebrewer market. He can fit 3# in a $5 flat rate envelope for shipping.

Just to update my tale, I spoke with them today, and they very apologetically said that they dropped the ball and were not sure why my order didn't ship out on time. They also gave me a free pound of hops to make up for it.

not sure when it was delivered, but when i went to water the lawn at quarter to nine this morning they were on my front porch
be careful if using a knife to open the box, since i ended up slicing through the bag of leaf hops (don't ask my why they packed it so tight on top)

smallest bag was 17.6oz, largest was 21.6

Very very happy with the shipment.

I didn't open any packs but they all were between 1.25# and 1.5# on the scale in the foil bags. Time to brew!

Got mine in the mail today. All were over a pound, with the heaviest one right at 20 ounces. Including shipping, I averaged just under 60 cents an ounce with this sale. I love me some Hops Direct!

good news, they replied to my last email. They said they were really sorry the first payment request didn't show up and they would issue a second one. This second one i got and the bank should transfer funds to my pp account first thing tomorrow. Looks like i'm finally getting those hops, I can already taste the amarillo!

lupo66maniac said:
I just ordered a few pounds from him a couple weeks ago. Got my order within a week ( I'm in FL) and the amounts were right on the money. He told me he is a grower getting in to the homebrewer market. He can fit 3# in a $5 flat rate envelope for shipping.

That's beautiful! Thanks for the info!!! :)

good news, they replied to my last email. They said they were really sorry the first payment request didn't show up and they would issue a second one. This second one i got and the bank should transfer funds to my pp account first thing tomorrow. Looks like i'm finally getting those hops, I can already taste the amarillo!

Grats Cval!

i got all excited this today when the FedEx Ground truck rolled by my place - package isn't expected until tomorrow, but that's an "estimate"... i was hoping that it came in early and that i'd get my dirty mitts on the hops a day early. alas, it was a delivery for the house across the street. sad trombone. tomorrow it is.

Dang I'm gonna be in trouble!

image-41117555.jpg

+1. Except venison instead of beef :D
too funny - me too! neighbor caught a deer for us last fall, we're still digging our way out of all that meat. between the venison and the hops it's a good thing we have a basement and a chest freezer.

speaking of which, better clear out some space for tomorrow's arrival... guess we're having venison chili tonight!

Back