Brew Day Checklist ??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopSong

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've read some posts that suggest a brew day checklist.. so that everything is there and clean before starting.. no last minute searching for something that might interrupt the process.

I know Revvy has mentioned he has his process.. I did a quick search but didn't find anything.. unless it's buried in a thread someplace. Didn't see a Wiki.. etc.

So, here I am wanting to brew a extract ale with grains.

Anybody have a checklist for a simple process like this? Or one I can modify for extract brewing from an AG list?

So far, I have:
Kit which includes LME, Crystal grains, hops, whirlfloc
Filtered water
Steeping Pot
Boiling Pot
Propane and Cajun Cooker
Thermometer
Mixing Spoon
Saran Wrap or Alum foil
Bucket of Sanitizer
Spray bottle of Sanitizer
Chiller with attached hoses

Any further suggestions.. I have to be missing something.

Bottling Day Checklist comes next.... :)

Just a couple of suggestions:

• Have a few bottles of homebrew at the ready
  • Pull yeast out of fridge to warm up (smack if necessary) or have your starter ready to go
  • Fermentation vessel and airlock or blowoff tube

There are really three checklists in my opinion:

Process checklist -- this covers everything on brew day from prep all the way through racking to the fermenter and cleaning up

Equipment checklist -- this covers every little piece of brewing equipment, tubing, funnel, buckets, screwdriver, whatever else you may need on brew day. This includes any equipment prep like rinsing out stuff, sanitizing your cold-side equipment. DONT FORGET PROPANE and ICE. Those things usually require prep far in advance of brew day, at least they do in my brewery.

Ingredients checklist -- this covers everything that goes in the beer. Water, grain, extract, hops, whirlfloc, salts, etc. This should be detailed and include any prep like filtering salts & pH adjustments for water, milling grain, or weighing out and organizing each addition for hops based on when it goes in. DON'T FORGET YOUR YEAST STARTER. This also requires prep far in advance of brew day.

Hydrometer and testing vessel
Tool to get sample for hydro test.
Book to write down process, in case you end up with a great beer.

A list, written out ahead of time (ie, sober) , spelling out your mash/strike temps, volumes, hop schedule, etc.

If you use a socket wrench to tighten hose clamps on the IC or whatever, make sure you know where the right-sized sockets are.

A timer!!

Old towels for the inevitable drips and minor spills on the floor.

And laptop so you can goof around on HBT during the stretches of downtime.

'Nuff said!!

**Hint, it's not the rock to keep the recipe from blowing away.

;)

DSC_0726.jpg

I need a serious equipment list to have things accumulated before brew day.. which is the reason I started this thread. One of the things that prompted it is the last few brews I've done.. I forgot the Iodine Test. If I don't have it all together before hand.. brew day is a horror because the room is store the brewing stuff in is a horrible mess. Searching at the last minute sometimes proves futile.

I have a pre-brew checklist, a brew checklist. I think the best time to make a checklist is as you brew. It's also a great time to try to log all brewing activities and mistakes, problems. I have a pen and paper in my pocket on brew day that gets used a lot.

Back