Using old 'Blue Bottle' Tap-A-Draft with new brown bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are extra parts needed to hook up the new brown bottles on the old blue bottle system?

I'm not sure if the taps have changed... might be purchasing a used system.

Thanks in advance

Thanks, i thought i recall that the leg extensions might be needed... but I can't find that info.

Even if they are needed, they are only a buck or so!

Thanks, i thought i recall that the leg extensions might be needed... but I can't find that info.

Even if they are needed, they are only a buck or so!

Now, this may actually be true. I have the brown bottle setup and the posts on the little drip tray thing, that work to stabilize the whole system, don't even come close to reaching the holes on the bottom of the dispenser. I ended up attaching a bit of foam to the bottom of the tray so it would work. It still isn't perfect. I didn't even realize they made leg extensions.

I wonder than if your tap is from the old blue system?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/tap-a-draft-leg-extensions.html

Huh, just read the description... seems to say it all.

Well, I purchased it new as a complete system with the brown bottles. I don't think they bothered to redesign the dispenser head. The legs for the drip try actually fit into where you insert the CO2 cartridges. So, if they were going to redesign anything they probably would just redesign the drip tray to have longer legs. That would be a LOT easier. Too bad I don't have one of those drip trays. I think the blue bottles were longer and thinner. I believe the brown ones are fat and stubby and, because of that, the dispense head sits up higher and the original drip tray design didn't work anymore.

I think you're safe either way. I like the Tap-a-Draft a lot. I keg all of my five gallon batches and have moved to all grain for my bigger batches, but I still use my Mr. Beer fermenter in conjuction with the Tap-a-Draft and have started making some two gallon steeping with extract batches. The other nice thing is it gives me a relatively portable setup that will fit in a refrigerator that I can take it to a friend's house and not have to bottle up beer.

Mine came new with brown bottles and I have the same issue. What's annoying is that the whole thing tends to roll over on it's side without something to hold it in place. I just prop it up with condiment bottles in the fridge.

Interesting, maybe it all depends on where you bought it. My local HBS includes those extensions with the kit... maybe some don't.

Yeah, I'm thinking Nitro for stouts on a MUCH cheaper level!

Funny you mention that, my wife's grandmother passed away recently...okay, that's not really the funny part...and we came across an almost full box of 50 of the 8 gram Whip It nitrogen carts while cleaning out her house. I immediately spoke up and said that, unless someone had a use for them, I would take them. Haven't had a chance to try them yet. I have heard differing results on their effectiveness.

Back