My brew today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I'm brewing the below today. Just about to start, so not looking for suggestions to change it, but any thoughts on how this may turn out?

3.8kg / 8.36 lb British pale
75g / 2.6 oz Belgian aromatic
150g 5.3 oz British crystal 50-60L
60g / 2 oz British chocolate
100g 3.5 oz Dextrine malt (Cara-Pils)

50g / 1.7 oz Cascade at 60 mins
20g / 0.7 oz Cascade at 2 mins

11.5g Danstar Nottingham yeast

Target OG 1.041

Just Cascade as this is all I have and thought the AA% (6%) would make these ok for bittering and aroma. I threw in the aromatic addition to see what it would do.

Let the brewing begin! Well cleaning first :(

:mug:

No flavour addition would mean you were trying for a malty brew with the bittering there to balance it out a bit.

Yeah, got it in one.

I am enjoying malty beers at the moment and wnated this to be fairly low on bitterness. The software I use shows this at 29 IBU.

What do you think the aromatic will do for the beer?

Cheers

I'm confused. What is the brew length? Five gallons? Seven? Ten?

Unless I take the efficiency down to less than 60%, you're not getting 1.041 out of that grist. At 75%, you're looking at 1.052. Also, 1.7 oz of 6% AA Cascades pellets in five gallons is, depending on the formula, 41-49 IBU, not 29.

Um...help?

Bob

I'm confused. What is the brew length? Five gallons? Seven? Ten?

Unless I take the efficiency down to less than 60%, you're not getting 1.041 out of that grist. At 75%, you're looking at 1.052. Also, 1.7 oz of 6% AA Cascades pellets in five gallons is, depending on the formula, 41-49 IBU, not 29.

Um...help?

Bob

I used 'The beer recipator' a free online tool and ran the figures in grams and kg through there for a 5.75 final boil volume and this gave me 1.041.

However, I just f**ked up big time - see here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/urgent-help-needed-have-i-ruined-my-brew-90929/

Not good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have put the worst brew day of my life behind me, and cooked this exact same recipe up last night, without the optional cleaning solution addition!!!

It's doing it's thing this morning. :ban:

Back