Honey Blonde Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing a Honey Blonde tommorrow and I threw this recipe together:

5 lbs. Pilsner Malt (2-row)
4 lbs. Maris Otter
0.5 lbs. Honey Malt
2 lbs. Clover Honey (at 20 minutes boil)

1 oz. Hallertauer 60 min.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings 30 min.
0.5 oz. Styrian Goldings at flameout

Wyeast 1056 American Ale/Chico

IBU 24.4
SRM 4.7
OG 1.065

The IBUs are a bit low, but I don't want the bitterness to overpower the honey. Also, would I be better off splitting the honey between the boil and secondary?

everything i have read has said to add the honey as late into the boil as possible because the longer you boil it the more flavor and aroma is stripped from the honey. boil it for like ten minutes just to pasturize it. i would split between boil and secondary as well. I used a pound at ten minutes and a pound that i heated in water at 175 in the secondary for a honey wheat and there was a good honey flavor though not overwhelming

I use honey in a few of my brews. I add the honey 5 mins till flameout. works PERFECT. I dont add any to secondary. I make Honey Porter, and Honey Amber ales. They seem to be everyones favorite. I use local Buckwheat Honey its awesome

Latest posts

Back