This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys need to take it easy. Your points are known on both sides.

podz is correct this is NOT a debate thread.

Find something else to ***** about....

6a01347f9642df970c01348686f313970c-800wi

Nobody is going to die from falling 4 meters into a pile of snow. I think the pointless exercise was the taxpayers funding of your primary education.

Until you remove all of the snow, you're still in a parking lot. After you remove the snow, you're still in a parking lot. Even if the pile is 3 feet thick and you fall off the top of a truck, you're still in a parking lot. If you hate it so much, invent a safe way to clear off a truck. Until you do that, quit bitching about things you know nothing about.

I just like it when I get up to highway speed for the first time after a snowfall, and all that snow blows off of my roof. I feel like a comet. I look in the mirror and see all the powder trailing behind me, it makes me feel like I'm going faster. :p

I didn't know how much fun I was missing living here in Florida. We just have the occasional hurricane to get excited about. Otherwise the weather is pretty boring.

When car guys keep calling the engine a "motor".

The starter is a motor. It starts the engine. At least that is what my auto-mechanics teacher always drilled into our brains - motor=electric, gas-powered is an engine.

I know, I know - motorcycle... *sigh*

When car guys keep calling the engine a "motor".

The starter is a motor. It starts the engine. At least that is what my auto-mechanics teacher always drilled into our brains - motor=electric, gas-powered is an engine.

I know, I know - motorcycle... *sigh*

Actually my engineering education tells me a motor usually has rotary output. A starter does as does an engine.

What annoys me is the confusion people have between pumps and motors.

Pumps have rotary input.

Motors have rotary output.

Soooooo, following someone so close that an object comes off their vehicle and strikes yours in under 2 seconds is a 'safe following distance'? Just because there is a space of 3 car lengths between them doesn't mean it is enough. Road conditions, visibility, mechanical limitations of the vehicle, and driver skill all help to determine what is a safe distance. If your vision is diminished by blowing snow, slow down.
If he was truly at a 'safe following distance' there would have been ample time to make a defensive maneuver. As the driver you are responsible for the control of your vehicle. This includes anticipating the actions of those drivers around you, especially those in front of you. Next you will tell me that person doing the legal limit that you just rear ended while doing 95 is at fault as well...
Had the Saab driver been giving 4-6 seconds of separation the ice hits the pavement, no issue and no harm.
People ignoring their own reckless behavior to blame others annoys me.

Actually my engineering education tells me a motor usually has rotary output. A starter does as does an engine.

What annoys me is the confusion people have between pumps and motors.

Pumps have rotary input.

Motors have rotary output.

We've a program called Maximo. Sometimes, locations and assets are entered damn near to the nut and bolt. Other times, I have to write a work order on a VFD on a pump. Okay, yes, the whole equipment trian does include the VFD, but still...

We've a program called Maximo. Sometimes, locations and assets are entered damn near to the nut and bolt. Other times, I have to write a work order on a VFD on a pump. Okay, yes, the whole equipment trian does include the VFD, but still...

Engineering gibberish...

So the variable frequency drive (VFD) is wired to the electric motor that's connected to the pump?

I can see it be confusing just because of proximity.

My guess you have no gear reducer between your electric motor and pump or is there one?

Most of the ones that I have worked with have pretty high rpm motors so the rpm can get knocked down by the gear reducer. This is mainly so the motor is always running slower than its rated to run so it doesn't over heat. I always buy the dynamic braking option too on the freq drive.

Bla, bla, bla.....LOL

Alright I got one...

When someone schedules a meeting from noon-1pm and doesn't intend to provide lunch. DECLINE.

Lunch time is sacred, unless you're going to give me good free food.

Alright I got one...

When someone schedules a meeting from noon-1pm and doesn't intend to provide lunch. DECLINE.

They'll give it some cute name like "lunch & learn," and tell people to BYO lunch. As if the "learn" part means we're really getting something in return for giving up our lunch break.

Alright I got one...

In a similar note when people schedule a meeting without an agenda or an email to explain why they want to meet with you.

And it's during lunch.

It really annoys me when people camp out on the equiptment at the gym texting or otherwise playing with their phone. :(

Last time I visited my parents there was this chubby kid, couldnt have been much more than 15, who seemed almost lost in the gym. Definitely gave out this vibe like he was just there cause the football coach told them to start doing weightlifting. In the +1hr I was there, I never saw him do a single exercise. Just fiddled with his phone and looked around. I had to ask him to move so I could use the equipment he was on 3 times.

Felt kinda bad for him, but also wanted to tell him he's doing it wrong. You dont workout through osmosis resulting from just being inside the gym

Alright I got one...

This. We have a standing Wednesday program management meeting from 1200-1300. Grumble.

I work 8am to 4pm. This is normal office hours for 85% of the people at my job.

I hate it when people schedule meetings before 8AM. To me it's as bad as scheduling during lunch.

These people like to come in at 6AM and only work until 2PM.

They're the same jackholes who schedule meetings during lunch because they eat their flippin' lunch at 10AM.

Basically they're only available for 4 hours a day. Due to coming in and leaving early and being out for lunch. So, it's hard to get a hold of them.

On the polar opposite side, I used to have a boss who scheduled his staff meeting at 4pm on Fridays. That was hell when I have a 3 hour commute to Chicago.

I work 8am to 4pm. This is normal office hours for 85% of the people at my job.

I hate it when people schedule meetings before 8AM. To me it's as bad as scheduling during lunch.

They're the same jackholes who schedule meetings during lunch because they eat their flippin' lunch at 10AM.

Basically they're only available for 4 hours a day. Due to coming in and leaving early and being out for lunch. So, it's hard to get a hold them.

On the polar opposite side, I used to have a boss who scheduled his staff meeting at 4pm on Fridays. That was hell when I have a 3 hour commute to Chicago.

Urm... I am a 0600 person. I grumble and bring my lunch to 1100 meetings. That being said, I am lucky to get out by 1600... dang salary persons.

I get in that early 'cause a primary client works that early and that I get more done by 0900 than most of my coworkers get done all day, but the upper management frown if I leave at a reasonable hour.

Urm... I am a 0600 person. I grumble and bring my lunch to 1100 meetings. That being said, I am lucky to get out by 1600... dang salary persons.

I get in that early 'cause a primary client works that early and that I get more done by 0900 than most of my coworkers get done all day, but the upper management frown if I leave at a reasonable hour.

Its different if you come in early to flex with your customer's hours or its a time zone thing. I used to occasionally work late because I talked to China and came in early because people in Italy were near the end of their day.

A lot of the people I am thinking of do because of farming (2nd job) or they have a bed time of 8PM.

My inlaws put their kids to bed at 6pm so they can eat dinner alone then ***** about how their kids are up early. LOL No kidding...

You don't understand - they have kids. They have to pick their kids up from daycare/school, so they have to leave early. You don't have kids, so you don't mind working later, because your life isn't as important as theirs.

What do you have against families, Schlenkerla?

That said, I'm a 7:00 - 3:00 person, because I hate coming home at 5:30 and it's already dark out. Feel's like the day is already over.

You don't understand - they have kids. They have to pick their kids up from daycare/school, so they have to leave early. You don't have kids, so you don't mind working later, because your life isn't as important as theirs.

What do you have against families, Schlenkerla?

That said, I'm a 7:00 - 3:00 person, because I hate coming home at 5:30 and it's already dark out. Feel's like the day is already over.

Like your sarcasm.

My wife is a stay home mom, so I can focus on the job. My wife handles all the school, kid, household stuff, and all the activities.

I tend to work late being 3 hours from home. I can't do a daily commute. I'm only home on weekends.

Most people don't schedule meetings too early unless a key management person has a full schedule and they propose the time slot. It's still annoying though.

My fix for this is block out 8-10AM and 11AM-12PM time slots. Works most of the time.

skype version 7.18 is annoying me today

won't make calls, won't "quit", can't end the process in Task Manager

uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled X4 and still wouldn't work

had to roll back to 6.14

skype version 7.18 is annoying me today

won't make calls, won't "quit", can't end the process in Task Manager

uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled X4 and still wouldn't work

had to roll back to 6.14

I hate how Skype often minimizes whatever game I'm playing and puts Skype on top of everything else. Like flock off mate, I don't need to see that I have no new notifications.

I did a youtube search for "one gallon smash" expecting to get some brewing videos. What I saw instead was a bunch of jackass teenagers willfully smashing gallons jugs of milk all over grocery store floors and pretending to fall down, I guess to get people to help them with their "injuries." Apparently this is the height of modern comedy.

There's my pet peeve - *******, disrespectful little jackass teenagers.

Poetry, more specifically poetry readings. Especially in a place that you don't expect to encounter one.

It's like everyone is always very detached from reality.

Poetry, more specifically poetry readings. Especially in a place that you don't expect to encounter one.

It's like everyone is always very detached from reality.

I'm with you in almost every setting with one exception. I had an elderly O Chem professor that, on occasion, would wrap up his lecture 5 minutes or so early and read a poem or two to the class. His rationale was that the brain needed to shift gears from time to time to avoid burnout. It was odd but it was his tradition and he was very well thought of by students and faculty. I kind of liked that but probably just because it was him doing it. He was a good guy.

I'm with you in almost every setting with one exception. I had an elderly O Chem professor that, on occasion, would wrap up his lecture 5 minutes or so early and read a poem or two to the class. His rationale was that the brain needed to shift gears from time to time to avoid burnout. It was odd but it was his tradition and he was very well thought of by students and faculty. I kind of liked that but probably just because it was him doing it. He was a good guy.

Good with that for sure. To me, poetry should be funny, light, and most of all short. Not "enlightening," or something to be dwelled on.

Alas the lowly brewer
He mashes, boils, and toils.
In his ceaseless quest
To produce an ale that is the best yet.
Yet as sure as rain in spring
That golden brew when made
Will bring him again and again
To the ever dwindling cask.
And so the task must be repeated.
The brew re-created he hopes
And so he toils again.
And waits. Alas the lowly brewer.