Krausen for 2 days only...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyWeasel

Reaction score
I added to packages of yeast to carboy... the next day I had a nice krausen on top and a bubbling air lock... two days later krausen is gone and there is not much activity going on. Did adding two packs of yeast speed up fermentation time?? Planning on dry-hopping in my primary... just curious when I should and for how long.:mug:

temperature during pitching and fermentation?

current hydro reading?

also, FWIW, in my experience, dry hopping works better in a secondary. I don't know exactly why - my guess is that as the hops drop into the trub, some of that awesomeness is lost to the trub instead of infused into the fermented beer. When I dry hop in the primary, I almost always resort to an additional inside-the-keg-dry-hopping.

Cooper's ale yeast is a robust,temp forgiving yeast. One sachet would've been plenty for a 1.054 batch. I use either small starters,or just 1-2tsp of dextrose in the re-hydrating water,for an hour or two. That works real well. I can get a 1.050 brew down to 1.010 by re-hydrating one 7g sachet with their ale yeast. Great stuff.
Have you gotten a stable FG yet? I don't dry hop till I've got that 1st. Then dry hop 7-10 days. I don't believe making the hop sack sink down on top of the yeast cake is a good move either. it would just settle right into the yeast,coating them & be lost.
Ever watch a batch of sun tea starting to brew? It swirls downward from the floating tea bags. Same thing in the fermenter,imo. A little food for thought anyway.

Back