steeping extract, all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steeping is for extracting color and flavor from specialty grains, when using an extract recipe. Fermentable sugars aren't extracted during this process.

When doing a mash (or mini-mash), you go 60m or so and the main goal is to extract sugars from the crushed barley, and also to extract flavor/color from specialty grains...so you aren't really steeping here, you're mashing all your grain together.

Actually, the real reason to mash some grains for 60 mins is to convert starches to sugars.

SOME grains CAN be steeped (mostly for color) and some HAVE to be mashed for color and flavor as well as converting starch to sugar).

There's a list of them in John Palmer's How To Brew book.

I typed the list in WORD, printed (it), laminated and folded it...now I carry the list in my wallet so it's always handy. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
Actually, the real reason to mash some grains for 60 mins is to convert starches to sugars.

SOME grains CAN be steeped (mostly for color) and some HAVE to be mashed for color and flavor as well as converting starch to sugar).

There's a list of them in John Palmer's How To Brew book.

I typed the list in WORD, printed (it), laminated and folded it...now I carry the list in my wallet so it's always handy. ;)

yep. i've got that same list (and the one from Designing Great Beers) handwritten right here in my trusty notebook. handwriting something always helps me remember, plus i've got it right here as a frame of reference.

Typically with all grain, the steeping grains are added to the mash and treated as if they are the same as the other mashing grains. It's not necessary, because you don't need to convert the specialty grains, but it is more convenient to put all the grains together. So you end up putting the specialty grains in for at least an hour, but you don't gain much but convenience from having them in there longer.

Back